Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to try one more time to grow a scoby before buying one. I found unflavored, raw kombucha and bought new tea/sugar in case what I had was contaminated.
Sterilize the heck out of my jar and boiled my water instead of just heating it in the microwave.

Try using a different jar. With canning food if a jar spoils you aren't supposed to use the jar again. Boil the water for at least 10 minutes to kill any germs. And also consider doing it in a different room. There may be some rogue mold spores in that area. Obviously you wouldn't see a spore. Make sure your utinsels are sterilized too. I don't make this but I've done plenty of fermenting and stuff. That's what I would do.

Sterilize the heck out of my jar and boiled my water instead of just heating it in the microwave.
Oh my! Yes! You need to get that water boiling. I use spring water and have a designated tea kettle just for my kombucha. I let the tea kettle whistle, and then sit for 5 minutes before I pour into the container with my tea. I use about half the water heated for steeping, remove the tea, add the sugar to dissolve, then add the remainder of the water to cool it down so I don't wait forever before I have to add my SCOBY and starter liquid. Also, make sure you are using spring water and not distilled. Beer brewers don't use distilled water, so I follow my husband's advice on that.

I don't think I've ever boiled the water before. Whatever I did, it seems to be working.

Its been pretty cool here the last few days but it finally warmed up and my brew is making bubbles on the surface and starting to form filmy spots. Its smells nice a tangy too.

I don't think I've ever boiled the water before. Whatever I did, it seems to be working.

Its been pretty cool here the last few days but it finally warmed up and my brew is making bubbles on the surface and starting to form filmy spots. Its smells nice a tangy too.
Good for you! I have a propagating mat wrapped around the primary brewer to keep it upper 70s or 80 because my space is cool. But to get my first scoby I put it on an upper shelf where it was warm. It's so satisfying to see it working and smelling right! And very hard to let it alone long enough to do a good job in the next step. At least for me.

Sometimes the starter that you buy at the store will make a difference! Thinking good thoughts about your new "house guest", lol.

I have a nice, happy baby scoby ready to start its new job.
I just got the tea to brewing, should be cool enough to assemble in 3 hours or so.
Really glad it worked this time, now to get the second fermentation nailed down and I'll be good to go.

What kind of tea/sugar do you all use? My sugar is just organic pure cane and the tea is red rose black. I was thinking about trying a english breakfast but I don't know if it really matters.

I just got the tea to brewing, should be cool enough to assemble in 3 hours or so.
Really glad it worked this time, now to get the second fermentation nailed down and I'll be good to go.

What kind of tea/sugar do you all use? My sugar is just organic pure cane and the tea is red rose black. I was thinking about trying a english breakfast but I don't know if it really matters.
I used a variety of teas but predominantly Gunpowder Green tea. I preferred the flavour to that of black tea.

Same about sugar. As far as tea I use half organic gunpowder green and half organic black tea. I started with bags but now buy loose leaf. Better tea, better for the environment.

I bottled my first batch and this time I didn't let it get sour, just lightly fermented. I didn't add any flavoring either, just a little extra sugar to boost carbonation.

Attachments

• 20200722_100300.jpg
    20200722_100300.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 4
I bottled my first batch and this time I didn't let it get sour, just lightly fermented. I didn't add any flavoring either, just a little extra sugar to boost carbonation.
Oh, yum. Good for you. I have been adding smashed fresh picked wild black raspberries in 2nd ferment and it is so delicious! The raspberries are growing all around us. They are seedy so they are perfect for flavouring kombucha because I strain it.

Back