Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waaah I keep killing my water kefir grains. I can NOT figure out what's wrong, but I finally had to stop making it as it was too depressing.
Kombucha, which I don't like near so much, I have no problem keeping alive....
I haven't made water kefir since last summer; I still have some WK grains in my fridge (I think.... if they haven't died by now) and some dried. I may try to revive them later this year but without the grandkids around, I'm afraid I'll be left to drink it all myself, both WK and kombucha.

Is there any specific kind of black tea that any of you prefer? I've been using darjeeling as per recommendations from The Big Book of Kombucha. They also list other types that are the best for booch. Orange Pekoe is not mentioned. I'm wondering why. I'm looking for a stronger flavour.
I heard or read that using another type of tea other than Black tea can weaken the Kombutcha culture over time and cause more batches to spoil and get mouldy becuase it is weakened since they eat the nutrients from the black tea and therefore are starved from their usual food source. I haven't tried for this reason but would be interested if other people find it doesn't make a difference.

I heard or read that using another type of tea other than Black tea can weaken the Kombutcha culture over time and cause more batches to spoil and get mouldy becuase it is weakened since they eat the nutrients from the black tea and therefore are starved from their usual food source. I haven't tried for this reason but would be interested if other people find it doesn't make a difference.
Yes I also read that so for the first several batches I used only black tea. After that I plan to mix black and green.

I use a variety of teas, with one or two bags of with black or green tee tossed in for strength. Last batch was rosehip/hibiscus/green tea, and the one going now is vanilla rooibos/green tea. I dont let them get too strong so they end up nice and light, not too fizzy. I f2 with fruit for 2-4 days to get a nice fizz for an occasional change of pace. I just bought some of the Butterfly pea flower leaf tea to make a pretty blue booch. I am mad for color. :)

I never like to buy edibles from China as their track record in the food industry scares me
What they sell in China is vastly different (in a good way) than what they import here. Black tea typically comes from Asia or Africa.

Orange Pekoe is not mentioned. I'm wondering why. I'm looking for a stronger flavour.
I don't see why you couldn't use orange pekoe tea, it's just a different grade of black tea.

What they sell in China is vastly different (in a good way) than what they import here. Black tea typically comes from Asia or Africa.
We have a green tea here called Uncle Lee's. It comes from China. I always hesitated because it's so cheap. $3 or so for a large box of 100. How is that possible if it's good quality? I'm not doubting you, just saying my concerns.

Yeah, like I said... what they import here is vastly different. That's why I get excited about buying tea in China. BTW I can get a huge bag of tea in China for 3-4 USD, so the price is cheap but the quality far better.

Neglected as in I haven't fed it in about 7 months. There is only the old, dark and kinda stringy scoby floating around, no new growth on top.
I'm worried that most of it is dead and want to grow a new one if possible.

I'd go ahead and try it. It might take a few batches to get it back up and healthy but it's worth a shot. That said, I no longer make kombucha. I was making it for me and my grandkids but they've since moved and I don't drink it as much any more.

Neglected as in I haven't fed it in about 7 months. There is only the old, dark and kinda stringy scoby floating around, no new growth on top.
I'm worried that most of it is dead and want to grow a new one if possible.
Yes I'd try a small batch to get a good scoby going then use that scoby with starter liquid to make a larger batch

Latest posts

Back