Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been 5 days as of today since I started my first batch (I'm not counting the Kevita fail). Yesterday (Day 4) there was no fizz, moderate sweetness, and there was a weak vinegary-tannin flavor and aroma. Today the liquid is only slightly sweet, the vinegar-tannin note is becoming more defined as a taste and smell, and there is a nice little fizz going on. Day 4 was not really interesting to me if someone handed me a glass of it to drink. Today's stuff is definitely more drinkable. I'm curious to see how Day 6 goes.

Keep in mind that the first fermentation won't give you a lot of fizz; fizziness develops in the second fermentation, when you seal the bottles.

I already see carbonation developing, my last batches took 2-3 days to start fizzing. I don't know if its from the extra sugars or the better SCOBY but I sure hope this one turns out good.

Tasted the unflavored ones with the honey and sugar, the honey has a much better flavor. It completely covered the bitter tannin flavors. The sugar one hardly had any extra sweetness.

@DeeAnna don't let it get too sour before you bottle, it not only gets it fizz then but also continues to sour, just slower.

Thats why I decided to bottle mine before it really got sour. With my stomach issues, I want to try and keep the acids down.

@Misschief -- Based on what you have shared here, I realize the fizz from the first ferment won't last. I just was taking it as a sign that the fermentation was healthy and vigorous.

@Obsidian -- I promise won't let it go too far into vinegar-y-ness. I think it's interesting that the flavor changes so distinctly.

My lacto ferments continue to evolve in the fridge too. I ferment my sauerkraut for a week or two at room temp, and it has a fairly sharp acidic flavor at that point. Now that it's been in the fridge for about a year, it's still sour, but the flavor is much mellower. It's to die for on a grilled brat. ;)

So, I checked my two week old kombucha after yesterday's market. Surprisingly, it wasn't at all sour; it had a nice light tang to it without being mouth-puckering. I was prepared to use it for starter tea and discard the rest but I bottled it and flavoured it with frozen raspberries. I think it will be a good one.

I walked past my 2 month old kombucha, tapped the glass... it snarled at me so I continued on. My mom's booch is doing fabulous though, she is really enjoying brewing it and drinking it. She says it helps her arthritis and her stomach issues.

I do brew Kombucha. I think I have an over abundance of scobys in a big gallon jar right now that I need to cut up and feed to my ducks, LOL. I used to make mine with the continuous process in a big crock designed for water and it worked really well until harvest season and the fruit flies showed up. Make sure your container is sealed well or they will jump right in with the scoby and ruin your lovely kombucha. Protected well I've got scoby that get up to 4 inches thick and are the size of dinner plates. It's an amazing colony (scoby). My soapy friend Crystal Starr Glen makes soap with kombucha often. She's also on YouTube with me. I've also tried using it and sometimes substitute kombucha in recipes that I like to use ACV.

I do brew Kombucha. I think I have an over abundance of scobys in a big gallon jar right now that I need to cut up and feed to my ducks, LOL. I used to make mine with the continuous process in a big crock designed for water and it worked really well until harvest season and the fruit flies showed up. Make sure your container is sealed well or they will jump right in with the scoby and ruin your lovely kombucha. Protected well I've got scoby that get up to 4 inches thick and are the size of dinner plates. It's an amazing colony (scoby). My soapy friend Crystal Starr Glen makes soap with kombucha often. She's also on YouTube with me. I've also tried using it and sometimes substitute kombucha in recipes that I like to use ACV.
Hi Jentlesoaps,there's no need to discard your scobies! There are many uses for them, they are actually very healthy to eat too. My favourite is scoby -jello. Mixed with a little kombucha it can be blended smooth and then added to a storebought jello or prepare your own with gelatine. It has a lovely effervescent texture to it and is a cure-all kind of food. My friend cures her stomach ailments with it.

Well... she's not really discarding them. She's feeding them to her ducks. Ducks need scoby love too! I'm actually taking some over to my crazy chicken lady to see what her chickens think of them.

Yes, chickens like them too, and I feed some to the dogs, because they love it as a treat and it's so good for them, but they don't get all of it, I make sure to keep enough for my jello! lol

I'd love to make my own but I like it real sour. The brand I buy almost tastes like it has vinegar in it.

The brand that is made local is barely fermented with very little flavor. Is there good recipes for a nice sour blend?
The longer you let it brew to more sour "acidic" it gets. I use a recipie of 1 cup of sugar per gallon w 6 tea bags. I use pu er tea I get from a local Asian market uncle Lee's 5.00 for 100 tea bags. also I started my first SCOBY from a bottle of GTS Kombucha and never looked back ever since also you need to make sure you reserve 2 cups of brewed Kombucha per gallon that you want to make.

Last edited:
I know there are several threads about kombucha soap, but I'm really curious how many kombucha brewers are in the forum. So who's out there?

I have been drinking kombucha off and on for 2 years, just started brewing my own about a year ago, taking a small break at the beginning of summer when we moved, and December/January while I was getting my mental poop in a group. I make about 3/4 gallon at a time, because I'm the only one who drinks it at my house.

Tea: I usually brew mine with black and green tea, but I did do a few batches with oolong that I brought back from a China trip. (I'll be leaving more room in my bag on next trip. That was the best carbonation I have ever gotten!)

Sugar: I usually use regular old table sugar, but did my first batch with raw sugar just last week.

Flavors: Mostly plain, but I have experimented a bit with pumpkin, strawberry & rhubarb, and my last batch was strawberry & lime, which is my new favorite. I use my sister's homemade strawberry syrup for the strawberry part. It's too runny to be a decent ice cream sauce, and too rich for panpakes (pancakes), but works well for booch because I don't have to use alot.

...and no... I haven't tried to make soap with booch, but it is on my list.
I've acctually found a recipie for kombucha soap.

I've acctually found a recipie for kombucha soap.

I've made kombucha soap, just sub in the water for booch and use my regular oils. I soap with a low SF to begin with, so any reaction with the lye and booch that would create a higher SF isn't an issue for me.

I've made kombucha soap, just sub in the water for booch and use my regular oils. I soap with a low SF to begin with, so any reaction with the lye and booch that would create a higher SF isn't an issue for me.
The recipie I found calls for 1oz ground Kombucha SCOBY what does SF mean

I would be hesitant to use SCOBY - it doesn't grind very well in my experience (maybe you have a better method for grinding). Large chunks could leave your soap open to spoilage, much like large fruit/veggie chunks will do. While SCOBY shouldn't mold, I have had a batch grow mold, so I know it is possible when exposed to contaminants. Adding the SCOBY to soap is changing the environment, so all bets are off it would grow mold or not. I prefer to not invite nasties into my soap, so I would use actual kombucha instead of the SCOBY.

I would be hesitant to use SCOBY - it doesn't grind very well in my experience (maybe you have a better method for grinding). Large chunks could leave your soap open to spoilage, much like large fruit/veggie chunks will do. While SCOBY shouldn't mold, I have had a batch grow mold, so I know it is possible when exposed to contaminants. Adding the SCOBY to soap is changing the environment, so all bets are off it would grow mold or not. I prefer to not invite nasties into my soap, so I would use actual kombucha instead of the SCOBY.
Thinking of making a kombucha 100% olive oil facial bar:) just using booch as water. I like making small batches

Yes I have some I poured in March. Just water etc. Once they are properly cured they'll last forever. I started w olive oil as my first soap.

I've been making kombucha off and on for about 5 or 6 years. I started with milk kefir and progressed from that. I also ferment water kefir but don't have alot of success with that. However it's a much bigger hit with the rest of my family. They prefer the sweetness to it. I hold off in the summer because I get have alot of failed (forgotten) batches and stick with only making it over the colder months. My venture started very much like my soaping story did. I caught wind of it and couldn't learn enough about it fast enough. Bought everything I could get my hands on and buried myself in books etc. I was driving home from work one morning and on the radio they was talking about probiotics and fermented foods being the solution to the new super bug. After having a very terrifying experience with my son and the H1N1 bug (was sick for a year and in the ER 5 times before I insisted they tested him for it! He was positive. Missed half a school year and was down to under 60# and was skin and bones) I had to learn everything!

I tried Kombucha for the very first time today. My sister-in-law has been making it on a regular basis for 2 or 3 years now and it was hers that I tried. To be honest, I was reluctant to take a sip after first smelling it, but after she downed a cup of it and pronounced it very good, I bravely took a sip of it and was very pleasantly surprised. It was as fizzy as soda pop and had a mildly sweet, pleasant taste that I'm hard-pressed to describe, but I liked it so much that she sent me home with four 16oz bottles of it. lol

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back