Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark beer = Old Milwaukee -- seriously? That's pretty funny ... but I know there'd be a lot of people around here who would think the same thing.

There are a lot of microbreweries in my region making good full-flavored beers and ciders, but many folks apparently think beer isn't really beer unless it has "Lite" in its name.

Earlene -- There are a couple of "whole foods" style grocery stores within 1/2 to 1 hour drive -- one in Decorah and one in La Crosse -- but I don't get to either town very often. They're on my list to check out, however.

Deanna, you can buy Scooby online. That would be far easier than driving hither and yo trying to find a place that has proper Kombucha or a mushroom farm, etc.

As to mushroom farms selling Scoby, that is new to me. Monterey Mushrooms has 10 farms across the nation and although I have only been to two of them,Monterey, CA and Princeton, IL, I doubt they sell it. It's not on their website, and I am positive the one in Princeton does not. Mushroom Mills in Iowa doesn't either as far as I can tell.

Unless one of the lovely ladies here on SMF can figure a way to send you a piece of Scoby, I'd check out an online order from one of the online Kombucha starter sellers easily found with a search engine.

Thanks for the suggestion, Earlene -- that's going to be my next step.

The latest chapter in my kombucha adventure --

No luck so far in finding a local kombucha maker amongst my friends. There's a HyVee grocery in Cedar Falls, Iowa, near the university (U of Northern Iowa), and I learned it supposedly sells local raw (unpasteurized) kombucha. When I stopped there on my way home from visiting my mother in western Iowa, I learned that particular brand wasn't available in the store. I did find a large display of national brands but I just didn't feel comfortable that any of them would work.

So I give up on finding a local source. :oops: After I got home, I got back on Google and learned there is a kombucha supply company in Madison, Wisconsin, (about 2 1/2 hours east of my home). I'm going to mail-order a scoby from them. It will take only a day or two to arrive from that short distance away and I'm pretty comfortable with the idea.

That's kind of the problem -- I don't have a lot of obvious options, given where I live. This is the land of true-blue Busch Lite and Bud Lite drinkers. ;) Kombucha is way too crunchy-granola for a lot of the folks around here. But I've got feelers out.
DeeAnna, I think you are near Decorah. Have you tried the co op? If it's still there. Hubby is a kombucha brewer, and I could give you a scoby if there was a way to get it to you. Would it go through the mail without damage due to temperature do you think?

I haven't gotten to Oneota coop in Decorah yet ... it's about 35 minutes from me, so not too far, but in the opposite direction to where I usually shop in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. DH checked with People's Food Coop in La Crosse this past weekend, and struck out with them. Oneota might well be more informed and better stocked, but I'm getting weary of hunting. :rolleyes:

Thanks to those who have offered to share their scobys with me. I really appreciate the offer, but I am going to order from the Madison place. They're set up to ship scobys as a routine thing, so know all the ins and outs of shipping these things safely, even in the dog days of our hot Midwestern summer.

Earlene -- Thank you for the offer! I think they're mail order only, however.

I had some trouble with my brew. I ended having some stomach issues and the doctor said no kombucha until it was resolved so my brew sat for over a month turning into vinegar and growing the scoby. I eventually made a new batch, using the buch vinegar and within a week, it had started to mold and the scoby turned a icky carmel color.

I tossed the whole mess out and tried growing a new scoby with a store bought raw kombucha and it didn't work. The brand I used last time isn't available anymore and all the local stuff is flavored.

I turned to a local yard sale facebook group and within a hour, I had a new scoby and starter tea. It tastes so much better than the stuff I had started. I don't know where the lady got her initial starter but I have high hopes for this one. Using organic tea/sugar and bottled water this time and will take better care of it if I have to stop brewing.

That's good to hear, Obsidian! I hope your digestive system is doing better now -- do you think your stomach problems were related to or aggravated by kombucha?

I got my scoby in the mail this weekend and started my first real batch this morning. Saw my friend De by accident on Saturday, and she said she knew a few people who brew kombucha. Wish I'd known that before I bought one. Oh well. If my purchased scoby doesn't work out, I've got options I suppose.

I do think my stomach issue was aggravated by the kombucha. I like it pretty acidic, probably way more then it should be. I need to get some ph strips so I don't do it again.

Good luck with your brew. It's a really neat process to watch.
Are you going to flavor yours? I really like using a tea by tazo called passion. Its very hibiscus-y but I'm trying fresh berries this time.

I have not done anything with my booch since the beginning of June! I think it might be a winter hobby/drink for me. My last batch was extremely sour (it brewed an extra week or two) so I have been mixing it with juice and using it for cooking.

I've sampled super-sour kombucha and it's not for me. Ewww. I can see why it could be used in place of vinegar in salad dressings and such.

I'm hoping what I've read is something I can learn to do -- that you can control the sourness with the temperature and time of fermentation, as long as a person keeps the temp and time within reasonable parameters. Same thing goes for lacto-fermentation.

Taste as you go. I use a straw to taste after about 5 days. Once I like the taste, I go to the second fermentation, usually with fresh fruit. Right now, my granddaughter and I are really like the rasperry kombucha and the pineapple basil kombucha, made with raspberries and basil from my yard.

Taste as you go. I use a straw to taste after about 5 days. Once I like the taste, I go to the second fermentation

I think part of the problem is I like it sour so I let it ferment until I like it but then it gets too acidic during second fermentation. I'm going to bottle it sooner this time, as soon as it starts to taste sour. Also figured out that citrus juice isn't good choice for me so I'll stick to sweeter fruit for now on.

It's only been a few days since I started my last brew but I went ahead and bottled it today.
It's very lightly fermented, no hint of sour and still tastes like tea.

Trying raspberry, blueberry, honey and raw sugar. Curious to see which gets more carbonation. I did use raw sugar this batch, next I will use regular white and see if it really does make a difference.

It's only been a few days since I started my last brew but I went ahead and bottled it today.
It's very lightly fermented, no hint of sour and still tastes like tea.

Trying raspberry, blueberry, honey and raw sugar. Curious to see which gets more carbonation. I did use raw sugar this batch, next I will use regular white and see if it really does make a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately, I forgot to bottle my last batch last week. I haven't even tasted it and it's been hot here so I'm expecting sour. I'll use it as starter tea but likely won't be drinking it.

It's been 5 days as of today since I started my first batch (I'm not counting the Kevita fail). Yesterday (Day 4) there was no fizz, moderate sweetness, and there was a weak vinegary-tannin flavor and aroma. Today the liquid is only slightly sweet, the vinegar-tannin note is becoming more defined as a taste and smell, and there is a nice little fizz going on. Day 4 was not really interesting to me if someone handed me a glass of it to drink. Today's stuff is definitely more drinkable. I'm curious to see how Day 6 goes.

Back