Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm... I could be wrong; I only checked on bottle and I'm pretty sure it said water kefir. That was a while ago, though.

Just checked their website. It seems Kevita is the brand name and they have both Kombucha and Water Kefir.
https://kevita.com/products/sparkling-probiotic-drink/

Yeah, they also make a apple cider vinegar tonic that is yummy. My favorite kombucha of theirs is the tart cherry, I'd love to make something similiar.

Fermented tea, huh? I always wondered what this stuff was -- and that shows you how little I know about kombucha. My friend Dianna gave me a swig of her homemade kombucha that was soooo very sour and pungent, I wasn't sure I could swallow it. But then I sampled a commercial kombucha at a Mother Earth Fair that was nicely tangy and drinkable.

I make my own sauerkraut, lacto-fermented garlic (great way to preserve it!) and cucumber pickles, as well as wine and cider vinegar. I might have to give kombucha a try.

DeeAnna, I am replying to your post because I am curious about the garlic. If you are willing to share, I'd love to learn more about this. (Maybe in a new post, if others are interested, or PM if you like, or not at all is fine, too as I can surely Google 'lacto-fermented garlic'). But I would love to know about how you do it and how you use it afterward.

I don't drink Kombucha because it tastes alcoholic to me and I just don't like it. My SIL has been making Kombucha for a few years and constantly has it with her. It's her Kombucha that tastes strongly of alcohol to me, although I have tried commercial Kombucha and it was less strong. I do buy it to use in Kombucha soap, so I taste it when I open it, but I just have not found one that I liked, particularly when it tastes alcoholic.

...I am curious about the garlic....

Off topic reply to Earlene --

It's awfully easy to do. I followed the recipe in "Fermented Vegetables" by Shockey and Shockey. There's a similar recipe from a free e-book from https://www.culturesforhealth.com/ Here's my adaptation of the e-book recipe --

Lacto-fermented Garlic Cloves

Approximately 12 to 14 heads of garlic
Brine of 1 quart water + 2 tablespoons sea salt
Herbs such as basil or oregano if desired (Earlene -- I didn't add herbs)

Peel garlic using one of these options:

Roast it in a low oven, around 200°F, until the skins loosen a bit.
Peel them with a small sharp knife to keep them 100% raw.
Put the whole head(s) of garlic, or the unpeeled cloves, into a small metal pot with a lid, then shake the covered pot vigorously for a few minutes. The paper on the garlic cloves will fall right off. (Earlene -- this is what I did, using separated cloves, not the whole heads. Tip: Make sure DH is not napping. ;) )​

Fill a quart jar within 1 inch of the top with the garlic cloves. (Earlene -- I used only 4-6 heads of garlic and filled the quart jar about 1/3 full of cloves. That's plenty of garlic for me, and the fermentation worked fine.)
Pour brine and herbs over garlic cloves. If you make a smaller batch like I did, make sure there is a little (1/2") of extra brine in the jar so the cloves are covered with liquid.
Cover the jar with a fermentation airlock or a canning jar lid. If you use a lid, be sure to loosen the lid 1-2 times a day, especially for the first few days, to "burp" out any excess gas. Put the jar in a small dish or pan to catch any overflow if you fill the jar full. (I didn't need that with my smaller batch.) There will also be a garlicky odor in the air during fermentation.
Allow to ferment for 3 to 4 weeks at cool room temperature. The liquid will become cloudy white, and that's normal. After fermentation, move to the refrigerator for long term storage. Since this recipe uses whole cloves, I'd recommend letting the garlic mellow in the fridge for a month or two before using it.
Use the fermented garlic exactly as you would fresh garlic.

The taste is definitely garlicky, but milder and sweeter than fresh. I can even eat a small raw piece without burping garlic for hours, unlike fresh garlic. I look at this as an excellent way to preserve garlic for months without deterioration and to make garlic more palatable and digestible. You can also ferment minced garlic, but I prefer the whole cloves.

Oh, that garlic does sound nice, I'll have to try with a little. My kombucha is starting to form a film so I guess its doing something. Its been rainy and cold the last few days but is warming today, should kick it into gear.

I make Kombucha, Jun, water kefir, and milk kefir. I have also made ginger bug and Tepache.

@Misschief I need help! My first batch of kombucha didn't carbonate and grew globs of scoby in the bottles, it was also really foggy even after straining. I ended up dumping it out just in case it was bad.

My second batch will be ready to bottle soon and this time I want to do it right. I got good glass bottles with metal lids and fruit for flavoring. I used pure cane sugar instead of white and I'm going to let my brew get more sour before I bottle it.

Here is the problem I'm running into, how to bottle properly? Filter or unfiltered? Add extra sugar or not? If so, how much? If flavoring, juice or fruit chunks? I worry about chunks going bad.

I love kombucha especially homemade, my favorite is oolong tea unflavored but if I do make a flavored one I buy quality juices instead of whole fruit because it's easier to clean the bottles afterwards and you don't get that that slimy pulp in the end product.

@Misschief I need help! My first batch of kombucha didn't carbonate and grew globs of scoby in the bottles, it was also really foggy even after straining. I ended up dumping it out just in case it was bad.

My second batch will be ready to bottle soon and this time I want to do it right. I got good glass bottles with metal lids and fruit for flavoring. I used pure cane sugar instead of white and I'm going to let my brew get more sour before I bottle it.

Here is the problem I'm running into, how to bottle properly? Filter or unfiltered? Add extra sugar or not? If so, how much? If flavoring, juice or fruit chunks? I worry about chunks going bad.

I'm at work right now but, when I'm home, I'll try to answer your questions. What I will say is that your home brew will likely be cloudy. The commercial brands are filtered and sometimes fined to remove all the cloudiness.

I've always used organic raw sugar, but my kombucha is never carbonated, even when I bottle it with ginger or fruit/juice and let it brew longer. Does the kind of tea affect carbonation? I love the carbonated kombucha from the store, but $$$$$. :)

It's the type of sugar. As I was taught/explained in my class you want the processed sugar ie not raw as the yeast eat that. After they eat the processed white stuff is how/where the bubbles come from.

I never experimented with flavors.. but no metal once you add scoby/culture!!! It'll get eaten and I vaguely remember my instructor telling us it kills bits of the culture.

Mini scobys in the bottle are really common, I read of one brewer who found a way not to get them by using around 50% juice in the 2nd fermentation but that sounds way too sweet to me so I never tried it.. proper sanitation - cleaning all your vessels with white vinegar and good natural airflow or fanning by hand once or twice a day during primary fermentation will keep your scobys clean and happy it's also important to use clean scoby or just strong booch for your starter I personally don't use scobys at the the start since they form really quickly and are just a cellulose structure for the bacteria and yeast to be near the surface for gas exhange, the more sugar/juice you add the more carbonation you should get but it will also be sweeter unless you let it consume the sugars which would take more time and possibly causing leaks or bottle bombs I like to wrap my bottles in a big beach towel in case it happens.

I never experimented with flavors.. but no metal once you add scoby/culture!!! It'll get eaten and I vaguely remember my instructor telling us it kills bits of the culture.

I'll try to find plastic lids for my bottles. For now, I'll put cling wrap between lid and bottle.

Mini scobys in the bottle are really common, I read of one brewer who found a way not to get them by using around 50% juice in the 2nd fermentation but that sounds way too sweet to me so I never tried it.. proper sanitation - cleaning all your vessels with white vinegar and good natural airflow or fanning by hand once or twice a day during primary fermentation will keep your scobys clean and happy it's also important to use clean scoby or just strong booch for your starter I personally don't use scobys at the the start since they form really quickly and are just a cellulose structure for the bacteria and yeast to be near the surface for gas exchange, the more sugar/juice you add the more carbonation you should get but it will also be sweeter unless you let it consume the sugars which would take more time and possibly causing leaks or bottle bombs I like to wrap my bottles in a big beach towel in case it happens.

Thank you, none of my research mentioned the mini scoby forming. Was quite a surprise when one made it into my mouth. I'll forgo adding more sugar and just see what happens with the fruit juice.

Have any of you noticed a difference in using scoby from different sources?

Have any of you noticed a difference in using scoby from different sources?

I like to continuous brew but I've had to stop and restart a few times, the first couple of times I just bought 4/5 bottles and used that as the starter, it took a couple of weeks to form thick scobys but I didn't mind, I was concerned with receiving a contaminated product since you have to work kind of clean and I wanted to avoid wasting time and resources and vinegar worms. The last time I thought why not just buy a scoby you're probably being overly cautious so I found a local person who works at one of my favorite coffee shops who was beginning to make it professionally so I thought they must have a clean ethic to sell me one and that batch molded :( buut I also did not clean my vessel with vinegar so that could be why it happened although I scrubbed it with dish soap really well. I'm gonna start making it again soon.

Finally, I have time to get back to this. @wickedblonde , I think that people overthink the process sometimes. Kombucha has been around for a very long time. Cleanliness is important but I, honestly, don't believe everything has to be sterile. My mother-in-law used to have hers growing in an ice cream bucket (way back in the 80's) in a bay window by her kitchen sink. She also had plants in that window. That's not sterile, even though she was a clean freak. Kombucha's been made all over the world and you can't convince me that it was always made under sterile conditions. Certainly, things should be clean but don't overthink it.

@Obsidian As for metal lids - I would say it depends on the lids. If the lids are lined (the way canning jar lids are), I don't see an issue. We have a local kombucha company that sells theirs in pint mason jars. You just don't want direct contact with metal, especially for the first fermentation. I use a metal canning ring with a #2 basket coffee filter.

Carbonation - you want to seal your second ferment in order to get carbonation. Once I pour my kombucha into bottles for 2F, I tighten them up and leave them at room temperature for a couple of days. Sometimes, I add flavouring, sometimes I don't but I always leave them on my kitchen table until I hear that pfffft when I loosen the caps.

Sugar - the sugar doesn't really affect the fermentation. It does affect the flavour, simply because different sugars have different (although subtle) flavours. I tend to use plain white sugar, only because it's the cheapest. I use pure cane sugar for my water kefir because that's what it likes and thrives on.

Second ferment - I've already addressed the cloudiness in my last post so we'll move on. Before you bottle, remove the scoby and enough of the liquid to use as starter for the next batch (I make 1/2 gallon at a time so I remove 1 cup for starter). Unless I have a lot of yeasties (stringy floaters or sediment at the bottom), I don't strain mine. I pour my kombucha into a pitcher for easier pouring, leaving the sediment in the jar if at all possible.

I've started doing my second ferment a little differently recently. Previously, I would put the flavouring (fruit, juice... whatever) in the bottle, then fill with kombucha and seal. Now, I put my kombucha into a fresh 1/2 gallon jar, add the flavourings and seal. I'll let it sit at room temperature for about 2 days, burping it daily to see if it's coming along. At this point, you can also taste it to see if it needs some sweetening or adjusting. Once I like the flavour, I bottle it into smaller bottles and, again, leave at room temperature for a couple of days, burping daily. Once I get that lovely pfffft sound, it goes into the fridge.

Incidentally, I've used frozen fruit in my 2F and have never had an issue with mold. The ph of the kombucha inhibits mold growth. That said, it doesn't always look appetizing having some mushy chunks of fruit floating in the bottles of 'buch. Doing the second ferment the way I do it now eliminates that issue.

Yes, it may, probably will, develop a mini scoby. If you're not squeamish, you can swallow it; it's perfectly safe. If you are squeamish, strain your kombucha before drinking it. Personally, I have no issue with it; my husband does (but he doesn't like kombucha anyway).

Thank you @Misschief! I bottled today, lets see how well it does this time. I flavored each bottle individually so I could try different flavors, not sure what I will like.
I have one half gallon jug that I filled last, its only about 2/3 full, will that much empty space be a issue? Next time I'll fill it first.

I didn't bother to strain it this time, figure I'll do that before drinking. I'm not squeamish but I don't want to drink scoby.

What happens if I use really, really strong tea? One thing I don't like about most kombucha is how blad it is. Not very sour, not very sweet with no tea flavor to speak of.

Thank you @Misschief! I bottled today, lets see how well it does this time. I flavored each bottle individually so I could try different flavors, not sure what I will like.
I have one half gallon jug that I filled last, its only about 2/3 full, will that much empty space be a issue? Next time I'll fill it first.

I didn't bother to strain it this time, figure I'll do that before drinking. I'm not squeamish but I don't want to drink scoby.

What happens if I use really, really strong tea? One thing I don't like about most kombucha is how blad it is. Not very sour, not very sweet with no tea flavor to speak of.

Your jug not being full won't be an issue, @Obsidian. The scoby will grow, no worries. If it bothers you, just brew a little more sweet tea and add it to you jug when it's cool. It isn't a deal breaker, though.

Really, really strong tea may result in a more tannic tasting brew. If you like the tea the way you've brewed it, you'll like the resulting kombucha. Let that be your guide. I would say that if you like your tea strong, add more tea to the initial brew; don't let it steep longer.

We have one kombucha brewer here in town who doesn't add any flavourings to her final brew; she does all the flavouring using different teas (i.e. hibiscus and rose, ginger, yerba mate mint).

Latest posts

Back