Kombucha Brewers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that's what I did to get my SCOBY. It looks good with yeast strands also, but in two weeks time, I couldn't enjoy drinking the brew. It's very strong.
Use it in soap! Use it as a vinegar replacement. Use it as a facial toner. Use it as starter for your next batch.

I usually start tasting my brew after about a week. Once the flavour is where I like it, I bottle it.

I can't recommend The Big Book of Kombucha enough. (I think the kindle version is under $10)
Thank you so much for recommending this book! I have my second batch of booch in the bottles for the second ferment. So far I have tried apple ginger, vanilla, avocado, strawberry peach & blueberry, mango and mango ginger. They are all very good except I thought avocado tasted like barnyard so I added some orange juice concentrate and fermented a little longer. Now it's good.

I gave up on kombucha. I just don't like the mild flavor and low fizz of the homemade stuff. Guess I'm stuck buying store bought if I want a tangy fizzy fix.
Started making yogurt in my instant pot, its a easier, faster and tastier way to get healthy probiotics.

I gave up on kombucha. I just don't like the mild flavor and low fizz of the homemade stuff. Guess I'm stuck buying store bought if I want a tangy fizzy fix.
Started making yogurt in my instant pot, its a easier, faster and tastier way to get healthy probiotics.
Sorry you didn't have a good experience. Did you try using more tea bags for flavour? and adding juices etc. in second ferment?

I make my own... have been for about 3 years now.

WOW! I am imagining a syrup made of blueberries, lavender, sugar - all of which "marinate" in the refrigerator to meld flavors.

Am I close?

I make a simple syrup boiled with hibiscus flowers and it is a super yummy addition to lemonade or iced tea. Gorgeous color too!

Cheers!

WOW! I am imagining a syrup made of blueberries, lavender, sugar - all of which "marinate" in the refrigerator to meld flavors.

Am I close?

I make a simple syrup boiled with hibiscus flowers and it is a super yummy addition to lemonade or iced tea. Gorgeous color too!

Cheers!
Nope, not close at all. When I bottle the kombuca, I throw in a few blueberries, a few lavender flowers, and seal up the bottles. After a few days on my kitchen table (where I can keep an eye on it), the brew is fizzy and beautifully flavoured. No fuss, no muss.

Can you tell I don't make Kombucha? hahahahah

I am so intrigued by blueberry lavender that I am actually going to try to make a sugar syrup for iced tea and the like

The only time I made Kombucha it tasted kinda "beer-y" - by that I mean it bordered on alcohol to my taste buds and I don't drink, and did not like that taste at all, so I gave up (perhaps too soon!) All these flavors you guys are throwing around make me want to give it another go!

Thanks all!

Can you tell I don't make Kombucha? hahahahah

I am so intrigued by blueberry lavender that I am actually going to try to make a sugar syrup for iced tea and the like

The only time I made Kombucha it tasted kinda "beer-y" - by that I mean it bordered on alcohol to my taste buds and I don't drink, and did not like that taste at all, so I gave up (perhaps too soon!) All these flavors you guys are throwing around make me want to give it another go!

Thanks all!
If you do make it, go easy on the lavender to start. It can be overpowering if you use too much. You can always add more, you can't take it away.

Kombucha IS a brew and there's always going to be a little bit of alcohol in it. If you're sensitive to it, you'll notice it. The nice thing about making it yourself is that you can stop the process at the point you like, you're not bound by a certain time limit. Once you like the flavour of your brew, botttle it, flavour it, and let it sit for a day or two for the flavours and fizz to develop.

botttle it, flavour it, and let it sit for a day or two for the flavours and fizz to develop.
Here again you are not bound to "a day or two." You have to go by your brew and your taste preference. My first brew was on the weaker side and the second ferment in the bottle went for over a week to get the right taste for me. Like @amd said to me: I cannot recommend "The Big Book of Kombuch" enough. @Mara also recommended a certain book which could also be good but I didn't need 2 books.

Here again you are not bound to "a day or two." You have to go by your brew and your taste preference. My first brew was on the weaker side and the second ferment in the bottle went for over a week to get the right taste for me. Like @amd said to me: I cannot recommend "The Big Book of Kombuch" enough. @Mara also recommended a certain book which could also be good but I didn't need 2 books.
You're right. As well, I have, and love, "The Big Book of Kombucha". It's an excellent resource.

Sorry you didn't have a good experience. Did you try using more tea bags for flavour? and adding juices etc. in second ferment?
Yeah, I tried more tea, different brands, different sugars and all kinds of flavors. After a few batches, I realised it just wasn't for me. I wanted a finished product that tasted like kevita

Is the instant pot the one that sort of looks like a cross between a crock pot and a pressure cooker?

If yes, I have one sitting in my garage and would LOVE to know how to make yogurt in it - can you point me to a recipe?

Thank you!

Yeah, I tried more tea, different brands, different sugars and all kinds of flavors. After a few batches, I realised it just wasn't for me. I wanted a finished product that tasted like kevita
That's disappointing. Glad you like your yogurt. I never heard of kevita, I'll have to look for it. I was hoping to have a kombucha as good as GT's. I know I'm not there yet but I'm pleased to be on my way and what I've brewed so far is good.

Is the instant pot the one that sort of looks like a cross between a crock pot and a pressure cooker?

If yes, I have one sitting in my garage and would LOVE to know how to make yogurt in it - can you point me to a recipe?

Thank you!

Yep, its a pressue pot/slow cooker. Check see if yours has a yogurt setting, it won't work if it doesn't.

Cold start yogurt.

1/2 gallon fairlife whole milk or other brand ultra pasteurized. Must be ultra pasteurized.

2 heaping tablespoons plain yogurt with live active cultures. Chobani and fage are commonly used.

Optional:
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tbs vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream for extra decedent yogurt.

Add milk and yougurt to pot, wisk together. Add any optional ingredients. Wisk well.

Cover pot with lid, you can use a regular lid or the locking lid that comes with the pot. If using the locking lid, make sure the vent valve is open.
Hit the yogurt button and wait 8 hours for the cycle to complete. Once done, pull the inner pot out, cover and put un the fridge for 8 hours. Enjoy fresh yogurt.

I use all the optional ingredients, it was delicious. I might try honey next time instead of sweetened milk.

If your yogurt comes out too thin, you can strain it. I did have to strain mine. Fairlife supposedly makes thicker yogurt but I can't find it here, use organic life instead.

Back