Kokum butter koo koo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
So I decided to give kokum butter a try and ordered 5 pounds. I find that it takes forever to melt in my warmed oils. Is this butter sensitive like shea or can I get more aggressive with the melting...it's driving me nuts.

I would handle Kokum like you would coco butter. One word of caution if you are using it for anything other than soap you will need to temper it. Kokum loves to bloom and get almost a fluffy texture to it. It will not bother you in soap, but in lotion balms, lip balms etc it will bloom (grow). I gave up trying to use it in balm type products after having problems even with a good temper

Ditto everything Carolyn said^^^. I love kokum. It's a staple ingredient in my shave soap formula, body butter and one of my lip balms.

IrishLass :)

I would handle Kokum like you would coco butter. One word of caution if you are using it for anything other than soap you will need to temper it. Kokum loves to bloom and get almost a fluffy texture to it. It will not bother you in soap, but in lotion balms, lip balms etc it will bloom (grow). I gave up trying to use it in balm type products after having problems even with a good temper

when you say bloom, you mean it get bigger/fluffier? I use it in body butter and a night serum, the only thing I do is use a double boiler to melt. I never seen it grow. Gosh I hope I am doing this right.

Back