Koh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim123

Reaction score
HI

I am looking to make my own version of the popular cleaner KOH (that is sold in the UK). Would anyone happen to have a recipe as I am new to this I am completely unsure what I am supposed to do. Please help.

I do know that it is "Our Universal cleaner is a formulation of potassium hydroxide and purified water. The active ingredient of potassium hydroxide makes up less than 0.5% of the total composition. " as stated on their website. But is it difficult to make and am I under infringement laws if I were to kind of copy their recipe.

Linking the product FAQ here

Maybe someone from the UK will be able to chime in. It looks like you’ve found the liquid soap section with your other post. DeeAnna’s website is awesome for filling in gaps if you don’t find your answer there. It sounds like you can simply use a food scale to get your measurements and clean whatever you need

Is Universal Cleaner chemical free?
Water and potassium hydroxide are both chemicals, so while Koh isn't technically chemical free, the Koh Universal Cleaner is free of harsh chemicals found in regular cleaning products.
Gave me a good laugh. Everyone stating that, unlike “harsh chemicals found in regular cleaning products”, KOH is harmless, should look up LYE BURNS.

Gave me a good laugh. Everyone stating that, unlike “harsh chemicals found in regular cleaning products”, KOH is harmless, should look up LYE BURNS.
It's free of the harsh chemicals found in other cleaners.........but contains a very harsh chemical that most other cleaners don't even consider using!

HI

I am looking to make my own version of the popular cleaner KOH (that is sold in the UK). Would anyone happen to have a recipe as I am new to this I am completely unsure what I am supposed to do. Please help.

I do know that it is "Our Universal cleaner is a formulation of potassium hydroxide and purified water. The active ingredient of potassium hydroxide makes up less than 0.5% of the total composition. " as stated on their website. But is it difficult to make and am I under infringement laws if I were to kind of copy their recipe.

Koh is potassium hydroxide, a type of lye. Its a caustic chemical that comes in powder form and has many uses.
Sounds like the product you have used is simply a very mild solution of koh and mostly water.

You would need to locate a source of powdered koh, just a small amount, not more then a small bottle and mix some with water to make the same concentration as the store bought stuff.

HI

my sis in law uses it and I saw it at hers last week. I was curious so looked it up. It’s a really really weak solution and in several reviews I watched and read the reviewers didn’t rate it at all above using micro fibre and water. I shall ask her if she would recommend it. I wouldn’t use it so I wouldn’t suggest trying to make your own. It’s a gimmick that‘ll have it’s time then fade away. microfibre cloths are the way to go to avoid chemicals. They actually do work

Back