Knowledgable Microsoft users just a question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperi27

Reaction score
I bought a dell laptop years ago long story short I dropped it now its dead. Anyway I purchase with my laptop microsoft office products that they downloaded for me. Now, I have this new laptop but it was cheap because it had no microsoft windows(I'm not the brightest with comps). Anyway, the disc says its only for dell users not for any other operating system. My brain tells me not to try and upload it into my acer laptop but my wallet says whats the worst that will happen it won't download? Or maybe mess up my system? Anyone please help me out here can I use them?

Dell uses is own tailored version of Microsoft operating systems ( OS). You could try installing it but the chances are that it will not work fully. Computer systems such a Dell and Compaq etc. use their own branded components and their OS software will carry only dedicated drivers for their own components such as sound, video etc. So the chances are that you MAY be able to install a partially working OS but the installation may abort when it comes to loading various drivers.

However, having said that if you decide to give it a whirl anyway and it does mess up you won't damage anything. You will just have to clean it out and start again with a Microsoft OS and not a 'branded' one.

Edited to add - on reflection I would not recommend trying it. But who knows you may get lucky :)

*squeal* This is what my husband does! :) Computers and such... When he gets up, I will have him look at this post! ...It's six in the morning... I can't sleep....

i have a dell too that could be described as the walking dead lol... sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesnt... I dont know whats wrong with it, if i hit it, sometimes itll turn on...if i just keep pushing the on button it wont...very annoying and I think the next cpu is going to be an apple

IanT said:
i have a dell too that could be described as the walking dead lol... sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesnt... I dont know whats wrong with it, if i hit it, sometimes itll turn on...if i just keep pushing the on button it wont...very annoying and I think the next cpu is going to be an apple
That gets pretty close to describing my ex-GF. ;)

lol I think the depth of it just sunk in LOL..... i re-read that whole part with her in mind lol...

My husband says: Probably what you have from your previous machine is a recovery disc that doesn't actually have the OS on it... although it certainly will not hurt to try it and see. If your new computer has no OS you will need to get a copy of Windows before anything else. Keep in mind that you may have problems installing a copy of XP that was previously used on your old computer (using the same product key). If your old machine was using Windows 98 or 2000, however, I don't think you'll have a problem. (Microsoft doesn't care as much about regulating usage of old software.) If you get a copy of Windows up and running and you can't use your old Microsoft Office software you can get a free program called Open Office at openoffice.org. It will open and modify MS office docs and has basically the same functionality.

I have open office now and its a pain in the butt sometimes. Tell him I said thank you so much! I'm going to try it after I food shop and let you know what happens.

Lane said:
If your old machine was using Windows 98 or 2000, however, I don't think you'll have a problem.
No problem at all with Win98 or Win2k if you have a full product CD. MSFT didn't start getting restrictive about locking the installations until WinXP. I still love Win2k as the perfect operating system. Too bad it will go obsolete a few years from now, no more update support. I'll probably have to get (ugh!) Vista. :evil: :evil: :evil:

get limewire...its the key to everything (including viruses so make sure youve got a virus program...) but you can get windows on there for FREEE lol....not that i advocate copyright infrigement or anything like that but hey...these are hard times...

IanT said:
....not that i advocate copyright infrigement or anything like that...
You're bad!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jeez, I can't take you anywhere....... :evil:

Back