Knock off blue emu cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iseleigh

Reaction score
I had a severe injury to my right knee several years ago and it is now starting to flare to the point I'm having trouble walking. Had xrays done today and there's no sign of abnormalities, which means it's a ligament issue. As bad as my knee hurts sometimes (I've got a high pain threshold, so if I'm complaining it's something worth complaining about) the Blue Emu cream takes the pain away completely. Does anyone here have a recipe for a similar product?
It looks like there's a lot of fluff in the BE recipe- I tried to copy/paste the ingredients or a screenshot but it's not working for me for some reason...

I don’t have a recipe but one of the properties of emu oil is it’s ability to cross the skin barrier. If you don’t find a recipe you may get similar results from mixing emu oil with an analgesic rub. My guess the draw of the blue emu stuff is using the penetrating ability of the emu oil to help draw the pain reliever deeper.

(*note, I’m not a sciencey person, this is only my guess without looking up the product)

Can you not just get help from an analgesic rub, or mixing CBD in with one. As much as I use palm I am really against emu oil. Or just use a CBD salve. I hate the thought of a beautiful bird being killed for only their layer of fat... not trying to start a discussion on right or wrong just pointing out how Emu Oil is acquired. I do admit it is not my business

Can you not just get help from an analgesic rub, or mixing CBD in with one. As much as I use palm I am really against emu oil. Or just use a CBD salve. I hate the thought of a beautiful bird being killed for only their layer of fat... not trying to start a discussion on right or wrong just pointing out how Emu Oil is acquired. I do admit it is not my business
Emu's are also used for their meat. Expensive stuff.
BE is the only thing that has worked this far, and I've tried a lot. Most doesn't get down to where I'm hurting, just sits on top. Beneath my knee cap is where I have the most pain and the dr said because it's tissue damage my only other options are painkillers and steroid shots, neither of which I'm doing.
I'm a courier with FedEx and they effectively outlawed anyone from using any form of CBD oil. Immediate termination if it's picked up from a drug test. :(

outlawed anyone from using any form of CBD oil. Immediate termination if it's picked up from a drug test.
This irritates me to no end. It's lack of education. There is nothing wrong with CBD, and it is not what gets a person "high" that's the THC.
I don't know enough about drug testing to know if CBD is detected in drug tests, but I know my sister who uses CBD is "randomly" tested at her employer quite often, and nothing is ever said. Of course that may mean they aren't looking for CBD, or that it's not detected, or that if it is detected it's not an offense for that particular employer.

either way, it's the lack of education that gets me more than anything and the blanket "immediate termination" mentality of some employers... And then they wonder why they can't keep good help...

I think it's nonsense too. The amount of THC potentially present in some CBD oil is so low it would have no effect. But they said if even a trace of THC is found your job is gone, and because I really like my job (and it pays great) I don't want to lose it.

Dumb here, what is CBD ?
CBD is cannabidiol, an extract from the hemp plant that is very popular right now. It's touted as a treatment and cure-all for just about everything. In east TN where I live literally everyone is selling it and CBD clinics are popping up like weeds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like that here. Here is the link to the blue emu blog which lists ingredients in their cream. It costs $83 aud to buy in oz :eek:.
https://www.blue-emu.com/blog/frequently-ask-questions-blue-emu-ingredients/
The stuff ain't cheap, that's for sure. That's one reason I'd like to make my own- besides tailoring it to my personal preferences with additives I can forage or easily source, it might be easier on my bank account which is already being strained.
I think it's around $22US for 4oz here.

Pain relievers work differently on everyone and I'm all for trying another. Never have use Blue Emu yet but now I may re-investigate making a pain formula. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands and sprung for a 5ml bottle of do terra's "Deep Blue Soothing Blend" of EO's. Geez, $45 for 100 drops in that tiny vile, but just 3 drops rubbed between the backs of both my hands works very well. Years ago I experimented with Emu, MSM and Arnica and found good results. hummm, will let yas know.

Does anyone here have a recipe for a similar product?
I happened to make my MSM Emu Oil Cream today. My mother and dear hubby tried everything OTC for arthritis and my cream worked better than all of them, including Blue Emu -- plus it's less expensive! I'm at that age where I use it as well. Before that, I tried duping Blue Emu, but I am unable to access my files at this time because I recently had my iMac updated to Word and all my docs are in "Appleworks". I'm hoping to get some help to translate one to the other, but my iMac tech is unavailable due to "life" interrupting his normal routine like you wouldn't believe. Poor guy. I'll spare you the gory details.

ETA: I found the best price for Emu Oil here: Sun Pure Botanicals
just 3 drops rubbed between the backs of both my hands works very well.
:eek: Somewhere on that bottle there should be instructions to dilute the blend to 1% in a carrier oil!!! (1 ml oil to 99 mls carrier oil) I see this often with people who buy YL and Do Terra oils... they think they can use the drops straight without harm. I warned a lady about that a few years ago. Even offered her a bottle of carrier oil to put her EO into. Just ran into her again the other day. She was sick, lethargic and looked awful... dark around the eyes and saggy complexion.

You will be amazed how well that blend will work once added to a carrier oil. You'd think 1% wouldn't be that effective, but, surprisingly, it is!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here is recipe from Humble and Me. It does not contain all of the same ingredients, but it's worth a try. https://www.humblebeeandme.com/pain-killing-emu-oil-roller/
According to the Conversion Table below, 35 drops Total of EOs in that recipe is about 35% when added to 5 ml (100 drops) emu oil, which, to my mind at least, is a bit of overkill. I'm no expert, but the caution is out there about the power of essential oils and that using more than the recommended 1% may do more harm than good.

VOLUME CONVERSION TABLE
20 drops 1 ml
40 drops 2 ml
60 drops 3 ml
80 drops 4 ml
100 drops 5 ml 1 teaspoon
300 drops 15 ml 1 tablespoon
600 drops 30 ml 1 fluid ounce

:videovisit: I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, I'm just sayin'...

Important side note...
Yes do terra customers receive a 30 page safety guide to essential oil usage and their website has safety pages. Sorry I didn't mention that I didn't want to dilute the precious entire 100 drops of Deep Blue into a carrier oil since oils do go rancid. Do terra recommends 3 drops carrier to 1 drop EO for application of Deep Blue. When I need the pain relief I put 3 drops onto a squirt of hand cream and rub it in (instead of buying the premixed cream). I have worked with essential oils for many years. Those who have an interest in EOs do need to realize the importance of knowing what you are doing. Essential oils are powerful "medicine" and need to be respected as such. As with any chemical ingredients natural or not ... study, research, study what you use. :thumbs:

According to the Conversion Table below, 35 drops Total of EOs in that recipe is about 35% when added to 5 ml (100 drops) emu oil, which, to my mind at least, is a bit of overkill. I'm no expert, but the caution is out there about the power of essential oils and that using more than the recommended 1% may do more harm than good.

VOLUME CONVERSION TABLE
20 drops 1 ml
40 drops 2 ml
60 drops 3 ml
80 drops 4 ml
100 drops 5 ml 1 teaspoon
300 drops 15 ml 1 tablespoon
600 drops 30 ml 1 fluid ounce

:videovisit: I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, I'm just sayin'...
I agree with you. I should have paid more attention to the amounts of EO in the recipe. I will remove the link

Important side note...
Excellent! Thank you for posting that information, Deeda. :thumbs:

I agree with you. I should have paid more attention to the amounts of EO in the recipe. I will remove the link
Um, actually, Linda, I think it's educational for those who don't have sufficent knowledge or experience with the power of essential oils, so I wouldn't remove it.. but you know better than I whether it's safe to leave it in or not

Last edited by a moderator:
Emu's are also used for their meat. Expensive stuff.
BE is the only thing that has worked this far, and I've tried a lot. Most doesn't get down to where I'm hurting, just sits on top. Beneath my knee cap is where I have the most pain and the dr said because it's tissue damage my only other options are painkillers and steroid shots, neither of which I'm doing.
I'm a courier with FedEx and they effectively outlawed anyone from using any form of CBD oil. Immediate termination if it's picked up from a drug test. :(
They may be used for meat, but the amount of Emu's killed does not match the amount of the meat consumed in the US. i am not putting you down for using it, we all have to make our choices, I just threw that out there.

Yes, I agree to leave the EO:carrier conversion table up on this thread. Seeing it is what triggered my brain to re-explain why anyone may have thought I applied the EOs straight on my skin. duhhh, thanks.

So of the ingredients in Blue Emu, what is it that makes the pain go away? I know emu oil penetrates deep and apparently has some healing properties... the rest of the ingredients though... aside from maybe the plant extracts at the bottom, they seem to be common cosmetic additives that don't have pain relieving qualities?

Back