Kitchen cabinet soap ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursula

Reaction score
Right now I have:
Olive oil
Rice bran oil
Coconut oil
Shea butter
Cocoa butter

I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas about percentages to use. I'd like the bar to last awhile without a crazy long cure time (or is that just wishing?). Sometimes my soap with shea doesn't last very long, but I love how it makes my hands feel and the creaminess of it!

The only catch is that I can't use more than about 20-25% coconut oil (more than that irritates my family's skin).

I'm playing around with percentages on soapcalc, but haven't yet come up with something that feels right.

I hope everyone is having a beautiful day!!

:)

Are palm, lard or tallow options at all, or just these listed oils?

From my view, if you keep the CO down to a usable level then you need a fair amount of the butters which then can hamper lather. Less butter but more of the softer oils can then affect longevity.

Having an oil like palm or lard in the mix could mean:

CO 15%
OO 35%
Palm/Lard 35%
Cocoa 15%

Shea is very similar to Palm/lard, and RBO is a substitute for OO - so unless you are selectively superfatting using Hot Process, I would stick to one type of each.

Unfortunately I don't have any other oils/fats right now, but have the soaping itch! :)

Thanks for the suggestions Efficacious Gentleman. Oh, and I will be HPing it.

Haha Susie. I have heard it is good in soap! I am vegetarian and don't use animal fats, but can see why people do :)

Then palm is your friend. That is what will help you get a good hard bar and decent lather. If you don't have a local soaping supply to get some quickly, I found out a local baker is willing to sell me some smaller amounts(like under 5lbs), so you might want to try calling around.

I do understand that itch, that is why I am trying to help you find it faster than ordering it.

Coconut and shea have a fair amount of stearic so they can substitute (sort of) for palm.

Rice bran oil or olive oil -60%. They are very similar in soap so you could use one or the other or both.
Coconut oil - 20%
Shea butter - 10%
Cocoa butter - 10%

Then palm is your friend. That is what will help you get a good hard bar and decent lather. If you don't have a local soaping supply to get some quickly, I found out a local baker is willing to sell me some smaller amounts(like under 5lbs), so you might want to try calling around.

I do understand that itch, that is why I am trying to help you find it faster than ordering it.

Thank you Susie. Yes, I don't want to wait for something to be shipped ;)

Coconut and shea have a fair amount of stearic so they can substitute (sort of) for palm.

Rice bran oil or olive oil -60%. They are very similar in soap so you could use one or the other or both.
Coconut oil - 20%
Shea butter - 10%
Cocoa butter - 10%

Hi Judy, Thank you! Funny, I came upon something practically the same (but sub'd some RBO for OO). Maybe Ill move forward with it...

Oh, and as I was digging through my shelves I came across some stearic acid. Although Ive never used it in soaps though.

Back