Kintsugi (Japanese ceramic repair) Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aihrat

Gently gently
Reaction score
I made some soap! I wanted it to look like soap that had been repaired with Japanese Kintsugi, so I cut the loaf into pieces and glued it back together with gold-coloured soap.

This batch was scented with Tea Tree EO and a few drops of May Chang EO. The pictures can be clicked to enlarge.

bowlw.JPG

stackw.JPG

reversew.JPG

You can see that some of the bars are about to separate along the mica line. I wish I'd added less of it. Oh well.

I did a writeup/tutorial for making this soap here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/kintsugi-japanese-ceramic-repair-soap-writeup-tutorial.73616

I've read about kintsugi and find it very interesting. Nice concept to use for soap too. And they turned out really beautiful.

Thank you also for the tutorial :)

I've read about kintsugi and find it very interesting. Nice concept to use for soap too. And they turned out really beautiful.

Thank you also for the tutorial :)
kintsugi is definitely very intriguing! and i love browsing pictures of kintsugi pieces as well.

thanks so much for the kind comments. i hope i can inspire someone out there to try it out too.

These are gorgeous. Wow. I am seriously humbled.
haha, i know that feeling, i get it every time i decide to trawl the net for soapy eye candy >_< it came out surprisingly well for a technique that is basically just "cut and glue the loaf" lol. and the layers in this soap was the first time i ever successfully made a layered soap, thanks to the help of the people on this forum!

thank you for the compliments!

Last edited by a moderator:
kintsugi is definitely very intriguing! and i love browsing pictures of kintsugi pieces as well.

thanks so much for the kind comments. i hope i can inspire someone out there to try it out too.
Oh I'm inspired all right. If I get good results you'll be the first to know ;)

I made some soap! I wanted it to look like soap that had been repaired with Japanese Kintsugi, so I cut the loaf into pieces and glued it back together with gold-coloured soap.

This batch was scented with Tea Tree EO and a few drops of May Chang EO. The pictures can be clicked to enlarge.

View attachment 35839

View attachment 35840

View attachment 35841

You can see that some of the bars are about to separate along the mica line. I wish I'd added less of it. Oh well.

I did a writeup/tutorial for making this soap here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/kintsugi-japanese-ceramic-repair-soap-writeup-tutorial.73616
Lovely!

This is amazing! I just read through your tutorial and...wow! Great job & thanks for sharing! I love the idea of incorporating existing art techniques/traditions into soap design.

This is amazing! I just read through your tutorial and...wow! Great job & thanks for sharing! I love the idea of incorporating existing art techniques/traditions into soap design.

thanks for the lovely comment and for taking the time to read my hecking long tutorial! i'm not well-versed on art techniques and this was honestly a bit of a fluke, but i can see a whole world of beautiful soaps inspired by art techniques in traditional media :D

Really beautiful. I've been reading about kintsugi and visible mending. Love that you brought that to soaping!

Back