kindly comment on my soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
dear friends can you comment on my soap recipe and tell me at what temperature do I have to make
Pomace olive oil ----65 percent
coconut oil -----20 percent
palm oil -----10 percent
castor oil -----5 percent

herewith I have attached the soap calculator calculations.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• soap with more palm oil.pdf
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
I would probably increase the palm oil and reduce the olive oil.:)
I agree with this, higher in palm will give you a harder longer lasting bar with more lather and it will cure quicker. A bar with 65% olive will need at least 6 months to cure and will have stringy, low lather.
If you still want to try it, you could soap just warm enough to melt the solid oils.

I agree with this, higher in palm will give you a harder longer lasting bar with more lather and it will cure quicker. A bar with 65% olive will need at least 6 months to cure and will have stringy, low lather.
If you still want to try it, you could soap just warm enough to melt the solid oils.
can i make palm oil 20percent and olive oil 55 percent.kindly let me know the temperature at which I have to make soap for this recipe

I used to pay attention to temperature but I no longer do. I wait until the lye solution and the oil mixture have cooled to just "warm to the touch" which means I can put and leave my bare hand on the outside of the container without burning my hand. When I used to measure temperatures, I would soap between 90 and 110 degrees F. When you soap at warmer temperatures, you can reach trace quicker. If you want to make a design, I'd recommend soaping at cooler temperatures. Good luck!

As above - if you're just starting making soap (as in, this is your first or one of your first times) then I would go a very different route with temperature. If you have made a few batches, just aim to have the same sort of temperature as you had before but without over thinking it.

Another thing to bear in mind when asking a quite specific question is to let us know what you are looking to do - soaping temperature can vary depending on things like whether you want a slow trace or a quick trace

I used to pay attention to temperature but I no longer do. I wait until the lye solution and the oil mixture have cooled to just "warm to the touch" which means I can put and leave my bare hand on the outside of the container without burning my hand. When I used to measure temperatures, I would soap between 90 and 110 degrees F. When you soap at warmer temperatures, you can reach trace quicker. If you want to make a design, I'd recommend soaping at cooler temperatures. Good luck!
Thank you

As above - if you're just starting making soap (as in, this is your first or one of your first times) then I would go a very different route with temperature. If you have made a few batches, just aim to have the same sort of temperature as you had before but without over thinking it.

Another thing to bear in mind when asking a quite specific question is to let us know what you are looking to do - soaping temperature can vary depending on things like whether you want a slow trace or a quick trace
Thank you
Traceisnot a matter .Earlier i have made soaps at 100 degree farenheit.Like that can I make soap at 100degree farenheit or something else

I would like your 20% palm/55% olive better than the 10%/65%. However, I really like the hardness and creamyness of palm. My preference would be 30% palm and 45% olive.

dear friends can you comment on my soap recipe and tell me at what temperature do I have to make
Pomace olive oil ----65 percent
coconut oil -----20 percent
palm oil -----10 percent
castor oil -----5 percent
Your recipe should be fine as is. It is a "high conditioning" and "low cleansing" batch -- good for sensitive skin. TEMP: 100F - 120°F

COMMENTS
Set Up.png

250 grams X a factor of 1.37 = 342 grams of soap (3 bars 114 grams each)
With 65% Olive Oil, I would use to 0% - 2 % SF due to the unsaponifiables typical of olive oil soaps that produce a kind of "slime" or "mucus" in the lather.

See Zany's No Slime Castile to avoid that effect and to increase hardness with the addition of Faux Sea Water. Try 70% OO, 15% CO, 10% Palm, 5% Castor.

Bar Quality.png

INS Value: 139 - Expect the batch to stay in the mold a little longer to be hard enough to unmold and wait until it is hard enough to cut. The Cure Rate may take longer than the average 4-6 weeks. Be patient. I think you will like the end result. So-called "Perfect Soap" has an INS Value 160. NOTE: This may not be true with a small batch but worth remembering for upsizing the batch.

Sat:Unsat Ratio 33:67 - For your second attempt, you may want to try the BASIC TRINITY OF OILS - for a more balanced bar using those same oils, to experience the difference.

I never worry about temperatures any more. Oils warm enough to keep the CO and lard from hardening up is about all I care. The closer to room temperature, the better.

Back