Kind of new to soap, have a couple questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure and account for the ACV in the lye or you'll increase your superfat, other than that it looks great.
I'm reading about this and I'm not sure why it increases the superfat but I guess it doesn't matter why only that it does. So should I reduce the superfat to 2% or less if the ACV will increase it? If I don't decrease the superfat how do I know how much extra lye to add?

45% tallow with 25% lard makes a really nice bar. Adding in whatever else you want for oils. Vinegar or any acid for that matter, neutralizes lye, which is why it ups the superfat. What are you trying to accomplish with the vinegar? It will not lower ph but will make a harder bar of soap.

To use vinegar, take the amount of vinegar you want to use and mulitply that number by 0.03570, which will give you the amount of extra NaOH to add. For instance 85 g NaOH x 0.0357 =3 grams extra NaOH needed. This is easier than just trying to lower superfat to compensate

Last edited:
45% tallow with 25% lard makes a really nice bar. Adding in whatever else you want for oils. Vinegar or any acid for that matter, neutralizes lye, which is why it ups the superfat. What are you trying to accomplish with the vinegar? It will not lower ph but will make a harder bar of soap.

To use vinegar, take the amount of vinegar you want to use and mulitply that number by 0.03570, which will give you the amount of extra NaOH to add. For instance 85 g NaOH x 0.0357 =3 grams extra NaOH needed. This is easier than just trying to lower superfat to compensate

Oh okay. That makes sense.
I'm just trying to switch up the base recipes outside of fats and oils to make the recipes different. I thought I might include ACV in the Granny Woman soap as it's probably something an Appalachian Granny Woman (basically a mountain herbalist) would have on hand. If it hardens the bars that's even better.
Way back when, before I knew much of anything about soap additives, I made an acv soap (swapped full liquid for acv). I think I was trying to make a dog shampoo bar, been years ago so I don't remember. I found the bars the other day. They're still a little soft and it takes some elbow grease to get the lather going, but once it does it's really thick and creamy. It's also nice for my hair and I haven't been rinsing with acv because I didn't know I was supposed to. Still learning. Lol

I made a small batch of the recipe I decided on for the main batch recipe.
3% castor
12% corn oil
48% lard
37% tallow
Couldn't find the beeswax so I dropped it until I *can* find the beeswax.
I never used colors in soap before, but I think it looks pretty cool. The batter was too thin when I poured so I will let it thicken next time. I used activated charcoal and turmeric.

Attachments

• 20190628_115222.jpg
    20190628_115222.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 42
Back to using ACV in soap for a moment- how much is needed to have the effect of hardening the bar? Is it a 1:1 swap or a lesser amount? I did some research and couldn't find a clear answer, only that ACV hardens the bar.

Me, too! That's why I haven't tried the vinegar yet. Somewhere, Deanna did a simpler version... I'll have to see if I copied it to my notes...
I was planning on doing a 1:1 swap on at least one soap, and adding whatever amount of ACV would make a harder bar to the others. I do love a hard bar of soap.

Simple version. Multiply the amount of vinegar by 0.0357 to get the extra amount of lye necessary.

If you are adding your lye to your vinegar add it with caution. Also do not let it sit for hrs before using because the lye and vinegar will react and form sodium acetate and will get pretty thick, although it can be soaped with, but I prefer to use it before it thickens. Actually I use 5o% vinegar in my batches because I like to masterbatch my NaOH, and they are hard enough, but then again my recipes are already hard soaps. I use powdered milks if making milk soaps.

Simple version. Multiply the amount of vinegar by 0.0357 to get the extra amount of lye necessary.

If you are adding your lye to your vinegar add it with caution. Also do not let it sit for hrs before using because the lye and vinegar will react and form sodium acetate and will get pretty thick, although it can be soaped with, but I prefer to use it before it thickens. Actually I use 5o% vinegar in my batches because I like to masterbatch my NaOH, and they are hard enough, but then again my recipes are already hard soaps. I use powdered milks if making milk soaps.
I think I saw that formula in the first few posts of the crazy vinegar math thread. It is definitely easier than muddling through all the chemistry and science aspects, as I was basically lost after the 6th post.
I was more wondering how much acv it takes just to harden the bar, and if more acv than that has any effect. If you use it at 50% and it works well I may try that in another test batch. I still have to get my micas in and do a test batch with embeds.

Is this amount of vinegar in ounces? What would I multiply by if I weigh my soap ingredients in grams?

Is this amount of vinegar in ounces? What would I multiply by if I weigh my soap ingredients in grams?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the easiest of the oils and fats mentioned? I've heard lard is a good choice for me as a beginner, it's cheap as well so can I just go 100% lard?

What is the easiest of the oils and fats mentioned? I've heard lard is a good choice for me as a beginner, it's cheap as well so can I just go 100% lard?
I've seen 100% lard soap a lot. I think the bar is a little softer than if you use other oils as well, but an all lard soap is something many people do. A 100% anything bar is easier to make than one with multiple oils, if only for simplicity. Experiment and see if you like it!

Update on the trial bars I made- so far the soap is hardening nicely and per the zap test there is no excess lye. I used a tiny bar to wash my hands earlier but there is no lather as of yet.

It does not matter if you measure in grams just multiply by 0.0357 to get the total grams of extra lye necessary. If you weight in oz you still multiply by 0.0357 which is going to give you a fraction of an ounce so it is really better to use grams.

It does not matter if you measure in grams just multiply by 0.0357 to get the total grams of extra lye necessary. If you weight in oz you still multiply by 0.0357 which is going to give you a fraction of an ounce so it is really better to use grams.
Thanks for your reply! I noticed that the www.soapmakingfriend calculator takes vinegar into account when doing lye calculations. Have you used this and found it to be accurate? Or do you just do the math yourself?

Got some micas in today but still trying to find the remainder of the scents I need.
Here are some pics of the
20190713_131737.jpg
20190713_131647.jpg
20190713_131622.jpg

$8.34 total, and they had several other colors. Will see how they turn out in the soap.
Also, my Granny Woman soap was supposed to be a light blue color but the scents are more autumnal... any ideas on how I could keep my blue soap but tie in fall colors too?

Latest posts

Back