Kimchi anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my first batch of kimchi a few days using this recipe https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi
so far its turning out really well, should be done in just a couple more days. The one thing I'm wondering about is the fishy flavor, will it lessen some? I couldn't find the right kind a shrimp so I used shrimp paste instead and didn't compensate for the fact its more concentrated.
I think next time I will use just a tiny amount of shrimp and maybe replace the fish sauce with soy sauce. I've only eaten store bought kimchi so its hard to know how mine compares to the real deal.

This is my paste before adding the napa cabbage. I did cheat a bit and chopped my cabbage, next time I'll do it proper and spread it on the leaves.

Oh, for anyone else wanting to try this, the mild version with 1 cup of pepper flakes is still really hot. If you aren't crazy about hot, you might want to try 1/2 cup unless you have the milder kind of pepper flakes, I have the hot kind.

Attachments

• kimchi.jpg
    kimchi.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 14
I've wondered about kimchi. I've never had it before so I have no idea how it's supposed to taste. I've not seen it in any stores around here, either. I do know that it's supposed to be very healthy. I do a lot of other ferments, though.

My aunt makes Kimchi and I have always loved this fermented cabbage dish. In Viet Nam, where she is from, it is traditionally made inside of pot that was kept underground. I am pretty sure she used fish sauce when it was available, but they were so poor, meat was rarely affordable. So her Kimchi has always been vegetarian, with the exception of the occasional fish sauce, I suppose.

I used to buy Kimchi in Eureka, CA at a grocery store my brother found it in. He was introduced to it while on tour in VietNam, so was ecstatic to find a local (at the time) source. When I visited him, I'd buy a few jars and bring it home with me. I can't say as I recall a strong fishy flavor to it, but I used to eat a lot of fish back then, so perhaps I would not have noticed so much.

I love Kimchi but I really do not think soy sauce would be a good replacement for fish sauce. I personally do not find fish sauce to be particularly fishy, but I am a big fish eater, or was. Just do not get as much fish since we no longer have our boat. Fortunately where I live we have many places to acquire good Kimchi, so I do not have to make it

I love Kimchi but I really do not think soy sauce would be a good replacement for fish sauce. I personally do not find fish sauce to be particularly fishy, but I am a big fish eater, or was. Just do not get as much fish since we no longer have our boat. Fortunately where I live we have many places to acquire good Kimchi, so I do not have to make it

I think you are right, soy sauce would just wouldn't be right.
I don't think it's the fish sauce that's the problem, it's the fermented shrimp paste, that stuff is potent.

@scard I would be afraid to fermented in glass jars. Mine produced so much carbon dioxide if worry about blowing off a lid.
I use a plastic fermentation bucket, they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M40ANSI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I ferment in glass and so far no explosions. I've done sauerkraut, garlic, onion, cranberries, etc. But no kimchi ... so far, anyway.

Here's an article about kimchi that I thought was interesting. It might give you some ideas, Obsidian. There's even a tip about making a kimchi and peanut butter sandwich, FWIW. ;) https://www.makesauerkraut.com/kimchi/

The recipe in this article is for an Americanized version of kimchi with the peppers but without the fermented fish sauce. She says in the comments -- if you want to include the fish sauce, to "...add about 1 T for a quart batch and dial back the salt a tad...."

If you do Pinterest, the author has links to more authentic recipes here: https://www.pinterest.ca/makesauerkraut/kimchi-recipes-lore/

Last edited:
I ferment in glass and so far no explosions. I've done sauerkraut, garlic, onion, cranberries, etc. But no kimchi ... so far, anyway.

Here's an article about kimchi that I thought was interesting. It might give you some ideas, Obsidian. There's even a tip about making a kimchi and peanut butter sandwich, FWIW. ;) https://www.makesauerkraut.com/kimchi/

The recipe in this article is for an Americanized version of kimchi with the peppers but without the fermented fish sauce. She says in the comments -- if you want to include the fish sauce, to "...add about 1 T for a quart batch and dial back the salt a tad...."

If you do Pinterest, the author has links to more authentic recipes here: https://www.pinterest.ca/makesauerkraut/kimchi-recipes-lore/

I've made a few recipes from her site; just did the Cranberry Orange relish yesterday. It tasted amazing unfermented so I'm really looking forward to trying it after it's fermented.

I may have to try making kimchi. You guys may have just pushed me off the fence.

Here's another step by step recipe:

http://kombuchahome.com/how-to-make-kimchi/

With the amount of red pepper flakes, is this a spicy hot ferment? As I said, I have no idea how it tastes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like I was worried for no reason. The overly fishy taste is gone now, it's just a nice hot/sour/savory deliciousness.
I've transferred it into smaller container for storage in the fridge. I must have eaten 2 cups just standing in the kitchen.
At this rate, I'll have to make another batch in a week or so.

@DeeAnna I've made saurkeaut before but never seen the amount of gas produced as the kimchi. It easily pushed the inner lid up 4-5 inches everyday.

@Misschief kimchi is a spicy dish. I used around 5 lb of cabbage and 2/3 cup pepper flakes. It pretty hot, not so much I can't eat it but I would prefer it a bit milder.
If you don't like hot food, use the least amount for the recipe.

Make sure you use Korean pepper flakes, you can get it on amazon or at a Asia grocery store. I found a 5 lb bag for $14 at a local Asian market.

Attachments

• IMG_20180415_092923.jpg
    IMG_20180415_092923.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 16
[USER=19626 said:
@Misschief[/USER] kimchi is a spicy dish. I used around 5 lb of cabbage and 2/3 cup pepper flakes. It pretty hot, not so much I can't eat it but I would prefer it a bit milder.
If you don't like hot food, use the least amount for the recipe.

Make sure you use Korean pepper flakes, you can get it on amazon or at a Asia grocery store. I found a 5 lb bag for $14 at a local Asian market.

We have a pretty good Asian market here; I will have to check it out. Thanks Obsidian!

I also ferment in glass jars, but I use my sprouting screens with my canning jars, so never have to worry about excess gases. You can buy sprouting screens or you can make them. I make my own with plastic crafter's mesh. Much cheaper to that way, and I happen to have a lot of those.

As a vegetarian, I don't eat fish either, scard, but I do allow myself one exception and that is anchovy paste in Cesar Salad. Although I used to have a very good recipe for a vegan Cesar Salad dressing that tasted pretty good, I really prefer the real thing. So sometime in the future I may just try that recipe in your link using anchovy paste.

I have never had it either, but I'm going to try this recipe https://drbenkim.com/how-make-kim-chi.htm one of these days.
I've made a lot of the recipes on the site and they are really good, especially the healthy baked beans and vegetarian chili. :)

I make a few types of kimchi throughout the year, but my favorite is oi kimchi (cucumber) in the summer. It doesn't last as along as the others because the cucumber texture softens as it loses water, but I usually eat it within a week. Normally I don't use the shrimp paste (because I never remember to pick some up when I'm in town) and just use fish sauce.
I also recommend Immortal Classic on netflix if you need a korean (subtitled) soap opera to inspire you while you craft your smelly goodness.

The Vietnamese sauce is called nuoc mam and should be found in most asian stores. I ate it on the local economy when over there. The locals seemed to put it on everything. The real stuff is strong and soy sauce is not even a close substitute.

The Vietnamese sauce is called nuoc mam and should be found in most asian stores. I ate it on the local economy when over there. The locals seemed to put it on everything. The real stuff is strong and soy sauce is not even a close substitute.
I'm lost. Are you talking about a Vietnamese fish sauce?

Back