Kidney diet for cats

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lenaree, I love your idea of an outdoor kitty kennel!

Re: high quality dry kibble. For a long time it was Science Diet (I know, I know, but better than Meow Mix and those were our only options.) Eukanuba for a long time, then Blue Buffalo (I think), now it's Orijen. We stopped the BB because it has "life source bits". The bulk of the food is cooked at a higher them that destroys vitamins, so they include the vitamins in the "life source bits" - which the cats came to dislike and simply picked out of their food bowls. Like a kid with a bowl of Lucky Charms. Cats are such brats, I swear. It's a good thing they're cute! Now it's Orijen, which has the highest fat content of any dry kibble I've found. And it's also the most expensive dry kibble. (Don't buy the 6 Fishes variety - it is RANK.)

Orijen? You really love your kitties. I couldn't afford that and settled on Earthborn Holistics. It was the only food my former can did not throw up, besides the Orijen. Actually, she ate the Earthborn better.

Just looked up Orijen - looks very promising! The research I'd done years ago (we don't currently have a cat) said that the big increase in kidney disease in cats was possibly due to poor quality protein which was hard on kidneys, and high minerals content (phosphorous for example) due to natural content and I think it was a by product of digestive process.

So many cat foods contain corn, wheat, and other grains - which are not appropriate for cats bodies.

It's like mass produced cattle; they're raised on corn/grains because they grow quicker/fatter and can be processed for food months earlier than grass fed cattle. However, if they aren't slaughtered at about 9 months of age - their corn/grain diet poisons them!!

Nature met for cows to eat grasses - and grass fed beef provides a lot more nutrition (vitamins A, E, omega 3s and other stuff) for us humans.

That's why I don't trust most of the grocery store foods.

Chicken necks and wings, and generally chewy bits of meat are also good for dental health.
My kittens are 5 months old, still young for bones. But I cut up meat in chunky bits and they need to put quite a bit if work into their dinner sometimes. :)

Supermarket kibble is awful. We fed it to our previous cat many years ago. When we knew close to nothing aboutbcat nutrition. He developed bloody diarrhea and vomiting. We switched to one from pet store and he was fine after that.

Latest posts

Back