Kicking myself for not having enough stock

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:beatinghead:
I procrastinated and Winter got me in the Blues. I just didn't do what I was suppose to do.
Just got a FREE tiny start up gig for mid May but I really don't have much stock.

I have 7 scents and a total of 50 bars that are good to go.
I have some that are just on the edge of being able to go, about 64 (7 scents) so they are a week shy of cure time.
I don't think there will be many people there buying anyway as this is the 1st market for them at a Store parking lot. No I won't say who it is yet.. mainly because I am the only soaper :cool:

So far I am the only one that has a "homemade" product, and they want to do this every Month.
Clearly I will be more prepared for June but for my 1st little market to only have 50 kinda stinks.

I suppose I could make BB but I have not perfected those yet and still need to buy PS80.

Fifty bars may be more than enough for your new small market. Even in large attendence markets there are many times I do not sell 50 bars even though I take approx 300 to each weekly market. If a person wants a handmade soap and they are hard to come by in your area they will find one to buy. Not sure what price you are going to ask for your soap but if you were to sell out it would result in $250-$350 in sales. I could be realistic to sell out in a new market if there are not many markets in your area or soapmakers. In my area it is not realistic other than holiday time. So I would not worry about going to the market. It can also take months for markets to either pickup or completely die out

The point is don’t sell soap that isn’t properly cured. You’ll hurt your reputation and people won’t come back. This is very very important if you want to establish yourself in your market.

If you will be doing repeat business there, it might be worthwhile to give out a bunch of little samples. I'd get some of those small ziplock bag that are the right size for a business card, and put in a chunk of soap and a card in each one, and hand them out! Also, maybe print some address labels with the dates of the market to stick on the card.

If you are short on soap I would pass out the samples next time. I can also say from experience that you can give away hundreds of samples and maybe get a couple of sales from it, so I would not cut up soap or shave off curls until another time. I also never recommend using a water bowl and pitcher, although I see it done quite often, for testing soaps at your booth, since it creates awful white murky cold water in the bowl. I mean no offense to anyone here that might use the method for testing, I just personally find it looks gross.

Latest posts

Back