Keeping track of ingredient costs across a number of suppliers - a spreadsheet.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimT2au

You bet they die
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really did not know where to place this post as I am guessing those who soap for a business probably use various accounting / order tracing software, I don't think it is applicable under general chit chat but really this could be useful for hobbyists in any of our areas of interests...

I have been trying to compare prices for items across a number of suppliers and it is a pain so last night hubby and I put together a spread sheet to do this for me. The file allows you to compare the cost of multiple ingredients across multiple suppliers, indicate which you intend to purchase and totals the order for each supplier for you. In the master copy I have set up a few examples of what you might purchase so you can see how it works. If you can think of anything else it should include please tell me (and if possible how to do it as well ) It certainly made life easier for me last night so I hope it helps you as well.

I have not been able to upload the excel file here so if you would like a copy please message me and I will forward it to you.

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area and a moderator has to move it to a more appropriate forum.

I kept an excel file I updated every 6 to 12 months. After so many years I pretty much have my suppliers in place unless someone runs a good sale. Like WSP did for Palm in my case anyway. Generally use Soaper's Choice. Plus I input my supplies into SM3 and it tracks costs as well.

"Window shopping" different suppliers for one or more items is a definite time thief in my book! Anything you can do to make it easier, I'm all ears. I haven't got a clue how you would set up a file like that.

Just one thought -- be sure to add in shipping costs -- if a supplier is east of the Mississippi, that's usually a deal breaker for me, so I try to find suppliers in the Western half of the country. Soapers Choice excepted, of course.

I lucked out and I can pick up from Jedwards for my Oils, ALL my oils. SO no shipping and great prices.

I also try and keep my FO's to 1 - 2 places too. makes it easier. I mainly use NG as I get $1 of 16oz bottles

Since my orders are usually $30 and up, I've been shopping with WSP & Nurture's because they offer free shipping on orders that are $30 and up. Or I shop locally. Big Lots had good deals on coconut oil, there's an Asian market that has rice bran oil and a good price and Meijer's sometimes has buy 1 get 1 free sales on olive oil.

"Window shopping" different suppliers for one or more items is a definite time thief in my book! Anything you can do to make it easier, I'm all ears. I haven't got a clue how you would set up a file like that.

Just one thought -- be sure to add in shipping costs -- if a supplier is east of the Mississippi, that's usually a deal breaker for me, so I try to find suppliers in the Western half of the country. Soapers Choice excepted, of course.
Yup, @Zany_in_CO , it definitely takes shipping into account. If you would like a copy then message me your email address and I will email it to you.

Yup, @Zany_in_CO , it definitely takes shipping into account. If you would like a copy then message me your email address and I will email it to you.
Will do!
Thank You.gif

Hi all,

I really did not know where to place this post as I am guessing those who soap for a business probably use various accounting / order tracing software, I don't think it is applicable under general chit chat but really this could be useful for hobbyists in any of our areas of interests...

I have been trying to compare prices for items across a number of suppliers and it is a pain so last night hubby and I put together a spread sheet to do this for me. The file allows you to compare the cost of multiple ingredients across multiple suppliers, indicate which you intend to purchase and totals the order for each supplier for you. In the master copy I have set up a few examples of what you might purchase so you can see how it works. If you can think of anything else it should include please tell me (and if possible how to do it as well ) It certainly made life easier for me last night so I hope it helps you as well.

I have not been able to upload the excel file here so if you would like a copy please message me and I will forward it to you.

My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area and a moderator has to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Hi KimT2au
I am interested in your spread sheet and would appreciate a copy from you please. I have also looked to find a private message token but cannot see it anywhere so my apologies if this response is on the forum. Regards Magic7M

Hi KimT2au
I am interested in your spread sheet and would appreciate a copy from you please. I have also looked to find a private message token but cannot see it anywhere so my apologies if this response is on the forum. Regards Magic7M
I have messaged you, you should see a 1 in a red circle next to an envelope at the top right hand side of your screen. I was not able to attach the spreadsheet to a message.

I wish there were somewhere I could pick up soapmaking supplies. Someday I'll get a good business plan together and open my own warehouse. I'll be the soap supply guru of the central midwest. hahaha! Right now, I'm working on banding together some local soapmakers to see if we can coordinate orders and share shipping costs... but dang! These women are fiercely competitive and unfriendly. I had one maker tell me outright "I don't want you to know where I get my stuff so you can copy it and steal my customers." Lady, I don't want your customers, I don't want to copy you - in fact you are the reason I don't do BRV scents or goatsmilk soap - I want to be unique in my own products. sigh. sorry... I'm in tangent mode today. So back to topic... I'm curious to see how this spreadsheet works. @KimT2au I'll send you a PM with my email address. Can you send it to me that way?

I wish there were somewhere I could pick up soapmaking supplies. Someday I'll get a good business plan together and open my own warehouse. I'll be the soap supply guru of the central midwest. hahaha! Right now, I'm working on banding together some local soapmakers to see if we can coordinate orders and share shipping costs... but dang! These women are fiercely competitive and unfriendly. I had one maker tell me outright "I don't want you to know where I get my stuff so you can copy it and steal my customers." Lady, I don't want your customers, I don't want to copy you - in fact you are the reason I don't do BRV scents or goatsmilk soap - I want to be unique in my own products. sigh. sorry... I'm in tangent mode today. So back to topic... I'm curious to see how this spreadsheet works. @KimT2au I'll send you a PM with my email address. Can you send it to me that way?

Gosh, I have joined in any number of co-op purchases in various other hobbies. They normally are really good value as they allow the participants to get true wholesale prices that would otherwise be denied them. The mean lady sounds very insecure. Simply knowing what she purchases does not mean you are going to steal her ideas or her customers. Talking of mean people that do things that make no sense, I won't tell you about on of the crazy parents from my girls school that I had to deal with on Wednesday. Honestly, there are times where I wonder about some people :D I have sent you the spread sheet. I hope you find it useful.

Hi all,

I was excited to see what you did, but I did not see a spread sheet attached.

I was excited to see what you did, but I did not see a spread sheet attached.
You need to message me with your email, @SusanP as I cannot upload the file onto the forum. I also cannot attach the file to the message system, hence I ask for your email. I can't see any way other than that to offer the file to people.

Kim

Hi all,

I do not know how to private message you. Can you message me please?

Hello, Sorry to be a copycat, but I don't know how to private message you for the excel. If you can message me, I will send you my email. Appreciate you hard work on all this.

Back