Keeping FO/EO in Metal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaney

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their fragrances/EO's morph if kept in the metal containers you get them in?

I have noticed a few that seem to have changed a bit and now I'm wondering if I should have put them in glass as soon as I received them. One was a fragrance from Lebermuth and one was an EO from New Directions. Both were around a year or a bit older. I did see that it says to decant into glass, but I did not do that, but I'm regretting it now.

Just wondering what others do and what their experiences have been. I'm thinking of buying some glass bottles to decant into, but dread doing this unless it's necessary. Thanks!

I can't say for sure what's going on in your case, but I can say if you don't refrigerate some EOs, they will oxidize and deteriorate over time. This is especially true if the EO is in a container with a lot of oxygen in the head (air) space over the EO. You can rebottle into smaller containers with less head space or use an inert gas spray to reduce the oxygen before putting the cap on. Lavender is a prime example.

DeeAnna - Thanks for the info. I will keep all my EO's in the fridge from now on. I only like a handful of them for soaping, lavender being my favorite.

I know some people rebottle their scents if they come in metal containers, but I don't. The metal containers are coated on the inside, and I have never noticed the coating breaking down. I'm not overly worried, especially since the EOs I get in metal are for scenting soap and lotion, not for medicinal use. I think refrigeration and limiting the oxygen in the head space are more important.

I rebottle my EOs if they come in metal containers. I recently bought some essential oils from New Directions. I was thinking what nice looking metal containers and that they'd be great for storage. But since ND recommends that the oil be “rebottled in dark glass to maintain freshness and attain maximum shelf life” I decided to protect my investment.
Best, Jan

Latest posts

Back