Keeping all-black bars looking tidy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canoecove

Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for keeping black coloured soaps looking neat? I wear gloves and have tried to plane off smudges/streaks, but it seems like if I even look at them the wrong way I get smudges all over :p Is it just me?!

No, I don't think it's just you. But I don't know of a good solution to prevent streaks and smudges short of packaging the pristine bars of soap in shrink wrap. Maybe others will see this an share their tips now that I've "bumped" your thread.

I'm not a great fan of dark colored soap to be honest. When I made a mostly black soap using black iron oxide and/or activated carbon, I found the lather was gray and the soap discolored light colored washcloths.

I still like to use black to make a dark accent color in otherwise lighter-colored designs, though.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips/tricks for keeping black coloured soaps looking neat?
Hmm. That's a new one for the books. I make a black activated charcoal soap but I don't remember any smudges or streaks. I'm wondering if your bars are too soft or maybe not fully cured yet?

Latest posts

Back