Keep Your Superfat Up when Using Orange Juice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to disappoint you, Lindy, the video has nothing to do with what I wrote. You are comparing apples and oranges, or in this case, lemons and oranges.

The original calculation was made on orange juice, and juice alone - no pulp, rind, pith, or any of those junk. Secondly, if you read the conversation between Green Soap and myself, I agree with her that lemon juice and lime juice can have up to five times the concentration of citric acid, compared to orange juice. I have no idea what crazy thoughts compel the person who made that video to replace all water with lemon juice and junk, but most sensible soap makers, like Tilly, uses only the juice of one lime to replace a portion of the water.

And why would I add citric acid to soap? :Kitten Love: It reacts with NaOH and becomes sodium citrate, which is good in creating a smooth mac and cheese, but has no benefit in soap.

Anyway, it's a free world. People can post anything on YouTube, write a blog on making soap without lye, and there is not shortage of misleading information floating around (including me faulty calculations, I guess :twisted:). Most people, however, are smart enough to draw their own conclusion.

Hmmm - somehow I missed this post but it was just brought to my attention.

Seiffenblausen I must admit that I find your tone rather offensive, plus I find it odd that you would intimate that I am not a sensible soaper. If you have something against me personally, then perhaps we need to discuss this in private, as adults. It is rather undiginified to go around slamming people on a public forum. Using citrus juice is not something incredibly new and although you seem to hold Soaping 101 in contempt she is a respected resource for new soapmakers.

I see I have just received your email with the spreadsheet and I thank you for that.

I am going to ask you to please not be so disdainful of other soapmakers here. I have a fairly thick skin but words can be hurtful as has been demonstrated lately. I am merely offended, not hurt, but others would be hurt by your words.

Lindy, I am beyond worrying about hurt or offended. The "sensible" comment was aimed at whoever doing the video. As much as everyone seems to think she walks on water, I find her experiment extremely unscientific. She may be very good at making soap, but absolutely terrible at experiment design.

If she wants to prove a point that citric acid messes up the equation, then use lemon juice, or just add massive amount of citric acid to water. Putting in the peel, pith, rind, etc. and all that junk introduced many other variables to the equation. You can "fail" a perfectly balance soap formula by dumping loads of "foreign" material into the soap. I can go on and on about confounding factors, numbers of variables, etc.

It has been a long day. I should stop here and return to doing real work - where people actually pay me for crunching numbers. I hope you have a nice evening.

Sarcasm and offensive remarks do not promote a friendly atmosphere. I feel that most of us work very hard to keep the tone of the forum courteous and considerate of others. If you cannot maintain a civilized tone, then perhaps it is better to count to ten before replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back