Kaolin Creme Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintle

Reaction score
I have found on the German forum informations about Kaolin Creme that dandelion, the Great Soaptress :) uses.
She said she creates a mix of the following:
1% kaolin clay
0,6% Titanium Dioxide (the proportions vary from 0,4 to 1% and she tends to lower this amount in her recent creations)
1,6% water
1,6% oil

She also said it creates a nice appearance of the soap, with no translucency, titanium dioxide dissolves very easily with no spots, and leads to Porzellan-Seife - porcelain soap. And also gives nice lather.

I have just tried this mix - Kaolin Cream, taking as the base for calculations the weight of my oils (so for 700g oils in a batch 7g o kaolin etc).
The mixture had to be mixed with mini mixer and it created a white paste with a consistency of a thick cream; water and oil emulsified. I have added this after I have poured lye to my oils and stick-blended briefly. It created a very nice effect: whiteish, and all the micas added in the usual amount were muted and pastel-like.

I admit I had slightly perverse feelings when I was adding the kaolin creme to the soap - honestly, it was such a pleasure and the paste looks so nice, so luxurious!
The mixture did not speed trace.

The soap is in the oven now, I will let you know after unmolding was it worth trying. Will post pictures if I have time; I have used FO that discolors soap to creamy (Davinia FO) so I don't count on whiteish results.

If you want to read original posts:
click!
click2!
click3!

Thanks, mintle, that looks interesting. I like the links you post (loved the confetti link, have it lined up to make today.) Would you post your results after you have unmolded? I clicked on the links - I wish I could read German!

not_ally, thank you for your kind words. I will post the results. Good luck with confetti soap :). As for the links - maybe google site translator could be helpful, however the translation may be funny (well, not funnier than me sometimes expressing my thoughts in English, but comparable ;)).

I think your English is perfect! I wish I spoke any other language as well, I speak some Spanish and my parent's native language very badly, I can make myself understood, but very poorly (doesn't stop me from babbling away, though:). If your results are good I might have some questions, though, I tried to figure out what was going on from the pictures, but it didn't go too well ....

I have found on the German forum informations about Kaolin Creme that dandelion, the Great Soaptress :) uses.
She said she creates a mix of the following:
1% kaolin clay
0,6% Titanium Dioxide (the proportions vary from 0,4 to 1% and she tends to lower this amount in her recent creations)
1,6% water
1,6% oil

She also said it creates a nice appearance of the soap, with no translucency, titanium dioxide dissolves very easily with no spots, and leads to Porzellan-Seife - porcelain soap. And also gives nice lather.

I have just tried this mix - Kaolin Cream, taking as the base for calculations the weight of my oils (so for 700g oils in a batch 7g o kaolin etc).
The mixture had to be mixed with mini mixer and it created a white paste with a consistency of a thick cream; water and oil emulsified. I have added this after I have poured lye to my oils and stick-blended briefly. It created a very nice effect: whiteish, and all the micas added in the usual amount were muted and pastel-like.

I admit I had slightly perverse feelings when I was adding the kaolin creme to the soap - honestly, it was such a pleasure and the paste looks so nice, so luxurious!
The mixture did not speed trace.

The soap is in the oven now, I will let you know after unmolding was it worth trying. Will post pictures if I have time; I have used FO that discolors soap to creamy (Davinia FO) so I don't count on whiteish results.

If you want to read original posts:
click!
click2!
click3!
this was wonderful, I have using td, never has my soap come out like the links I just show. I will be trying this one. Cant wait. When I do, I will post pix.:thumbup:

Very pretty soap but I get the same creamy white with just TD. Does she have any info on why she uses extra additives and not the TD alone?

I think that apart from the looks she enjoys minimized risk of TD rivers and also a different feeling of the soap.
I have unmolded and cut (no beveling yet so the pics are rough, sorry) my batch. It is very fresh.

1. Looks: In the main part of the soap I have used a FO which discolors to cream, but you can see the undiscoloured part on the top of my soap, where the white is mixed with poppy seeds(I did not add FO to the top layer). This is as white as it gets, solo. I'd say it is just white enough. I would lower down from 0,6% of TD next time, because I have some small glycerin river/TD river on the bottom of my soap (but I think the photos are not sharp enough for you to see it). Clay itself dissolved perfectly, no spots at all.

2. Feel: oook, this is where I see the difference. In the past I have used lower amounts of clay, and in 'kaolin creme' there goes a generous portion of it. The way my soap feels is exceptionally creamy, something similar to the dove syndet bar, that's the only comparison I can come up with.
I used a plain usual recipe which does not explain this nice feeling itself: 5% castor, 14% coconut oil, 49% lard, 25% OO, 7% PKO, with 5% superfat.

IMG_3395.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

Last edited:
The top is beautiful, mintle, and the soap does look really creamy. I wish we could smell/feel here. Thank you for posting your results, v good to know, I think I will try this.

Also, tried your confetti technique recommendation - I posted a pic (my first time doing that, you will understand why if you look at it:) in the ugly soaps thread to try and convince sugar soap to try it. Thank you for that tip as well, it is a great way to recycle a fugly soap!

I love kaolin in soap (for all the reasons you wrote about). I usually use 1 tsp. ppo mixed with water to make a slurry. If I calculated your kaolin creme amount right, it looks like you used about 1/3 to 1/2 teaspoon extra of kaolin ppo than I normally use (about 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 tsp kaolin ppo?). I may have to try increasing it one of these days. Your soap looks lovely! :)

IrishLass :)

Back