Kaolin Cream Soap - Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Help please... Continuation of this thread:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/kaolin-creme-soap.54784/

POST #1: Links 1, 2, 3 don't work. I'm wondering if anyone has the original links?

'TIA
Wave.gif

I think the forum has changed to seifenforum.de and I can't access one of the pages without being a member. Hopefully someone who is a member can help you.

I did dig this up for you though :)
Link 1 and Link 2
I hope I'm correctly assuming that link 3 leads to a post within either of the threads above. But it could also be a post in another thread that's about kaolin creme too. Not sure how to find this one hehe

I hope this helps for starters? :)

Well, it's definitely a good start, Dawni, Thanks! But it's in German and my German is somewhere between "rusty" and non-existent. :( I know there's a way to translate a page, but I haven't done that in ages.

Yoo hoo, anyone?

Google translate, cut and paste :)

https://translate.google.com/

The recipe is on page 3 of the second thread, and the first page of the first thread.
(I haven't seen Dandelion's post in a while, I remember taking a copy when it was first being discussed - that would explain why I have a kilo of Aussie kaolin here, for no good reason at all lol)

Thanks for bringing this old one up - I might try it with zinc oxide and see how it goes :)

PS.
For anyone wondering what Zany's enquiry is about, Dandelion came up with an emulsion of kaolin clay and titanium dioxide, blended in water first and then oil. The goal was to get a background white to take away the translucency of gelled soaps (so they mimic the smooth creaminess of CP soaps).

The amounts were adjusted across 2014 and 2015 (although I'm sure there was earlier talk on this, on another forum) and published by dandelion on a German soaping forum (their photo gallery is publicly viewable and worth a wander through :)).

Dandelion's emulsion varies a little, depending on the level of whitening required, but this was written in the later thread:
I have settled at the moment with the following current dosage:

5gr kaolin (1% in relation to GFM)
2gr TiO² (0.4% in relation to GFM)
7gr H²O
about 10gr of oil

here are a few pictures,
I smoothly stirred the powders with the water
and poured the oil on it
there you can see the stages of emulsification:

The pictures are in @Dawni's first link.

Last edited:
Well, it's definitely a good start, Dawni, Thanks! But it's in German and my German is somewhere between "rusty" and non-existent. :( I know there's a way to translate a page, but I haven't done that in ages.

Yoo hoo, anyone?
Oh sorry, my browser automatically translates so I didn't even realize!

Thanks @SaltedFig.

I hd saved the link of the post on this forum, coz it's something I wanted to try soon as I get my hands on kaolin clay, and the urge to CP lol.. But now I'm wondering what would the effect be on HP?

This is going to be borderline necroposting, but it seems to make the most sense to add this to the existing thread.

dandelion SeiFee has recently reposted about making kaolin cream, here:
http://dandelionseifee.blogspot.com/2020/03/kaolincreme.html
And, if we’re lucky, this is the same @dandelion seifee who joined SMF in February. I am very interested in learning more about using kaolin cream, including how it works with water soluble dyes.

This is so interesting! @Mobjack Bay, are you going to try it? I am having a bit of a hard time following the recipe directions but definitely want to play around with the idea of a kaolin-TD "slurry" - it might even find its way into a half-n-half soap. ;)

GFM (gesamfettmenge) = total amount of fat

As @SaltedFig mentions above, the technique involves making an emulsion with kaolin clay, titanium dioxide, oil and water. Apparently, the TD will mix very smoothly into the emulsion and lose the tendency to stick to the container. I want to try it, but I think the shared method uses water soluble TD and I have the oil soluble kind. I might try making the emulsion with the TD in oil and the clay in water. The minimal amount she uses for 500 grams of oils is: 3 g kaolin clay, 2 g TD, 5 g each oil (from batch) and water. For this usage rate: “TiO2 is not yet too dominant, additional colors, especially clays and oxides shine more, but the pigments, can still stain well.” “with a higher dosage of the TiO² up to 5 gr at 500gr GFM the additional colors become a bit pastel, that can certainly be desired: 5gr kaolin 5gr TiO² 10gr H²O 10gr OIL.” This is where she had settled at that point in time: 5gr kaolin (1% in relation to GFM) 2gr TiO² (0.4% in relation to GFM) 7gr H²O ( 1.4% in relation to the GFM) 7gr OIL (1.4% in relation to the GFM)” The post also mentions using dye water instead of water and AC instead of TD. Both @szaza and I have been adding water soluble colorants to clays with success. @dandelion seifee mentions using carmine and it would be interesting to know what other colorants she has tried this way.

Latest posts

Back