Kaolin Clay with Lard? Sorbitol... liquid or powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Sorbitrol for several years, always using powdered, because the liquid was more expensive, and use it at the rate of 1.1% of my total batch weight. So for my batches, I used 31g of sorbitol in my approx 2678g total weight batches which were a total of 1672g oils. I personally never found clay helped hold fragrance.
Ok I’m going to get on this bandwagon…what name does this sorbital go under? I was in the store yesterday and asked for sorbital and the young uns looked at me like i was an alien 🙄

I have used Sorbitrol for several years, always using powdered, because the liquid was more expensive, and use it at the rate of 1.1% of my total batch weight. So for my batches, I used 31g of sorbitol in my approx 2678g total weight batches which were a total of 1672g oils. I personally never found clay helped hold fragrance.
Hi @cmzaha, I did an experiment about 3-4 years ago. Two exact same soaps. I used blood orange essential oil in both. One with a kaolin clay slurry that sat for 2 hours, one without the clay. 6 weeks later, the soap with the clay had a lovely orange scent, the one without the clay had no scent at all. This convinced me. I used blood orange because it’s difficult to stick in soap. I had been using clay for about 10 years before that and wanted a definitive answer. I always make a clay/fragrance slurry. I like to let it sit for at least 2 hours, overnight is better. I use my mini coffee frother to mix it together well. I will also say, I like the feel that clay brings to soap anyway, so helping anchor the scent is really a bonus. I also trialed Natrasorb, but I didn’t feel it worked as well. I tried bentonite clay also, but it’s a little scratchy, not something I would want in every soap.

Ok I’m going to get on this bandwagon…what name does this sorbital go under? I was in the store yesterday and asked for sorbital and the young uns looked at me like i was an alien 🙄
Hi @Gaisy. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol. I’ve never found it in stores. Only online.
Sorbitol (/ˈsɔː(r)bɪtɒl/), less commonly known as glucitol (/ˈɡluːsɪtɒl/), is a sugar alcohol with a sweet taste which the human body metabolizes slowly. It can be obtained by reduction of glucose, which changes the converted aldehydegroup (−CHO) to a primary alcohol group (−CH2OH). Most sorbitol is made from potato starch, but it is also found in nature, for example in apples, pears, peaches, and prunes.[3] It is converted to fructose by sorbitol-6-phosphate 2-dehydrogenase. Sorbitol is an isomer of mannitol, another sugar alcohol; the two differ only in the orientation of the hydroxyl group on carbon 2.[4] While similar, the two sugar alcohols have very different sources in nature, melting points, and uses.

Hi @cmzaha, I did an experiment about 3-4 years ago. Two exact same soaps. I used blood orange essential oil in both. One with a kaolin clay slurry that sat for 2 hours, one without the clay. 6 weeks later, the soap with the clay had a lovely orange scent, the one without the clay had no scent at all. This convinced me. I used blood orange because it’s difficult to stick in soap. I had been using clay for about 10 years before that and wanted a definitive answer. I always make a clay/fragrance slurry. I like to let it sit for at least 2 hours, overnight is better. I use my mini coffee frother to mix it together well. I will also say, I like the feel that clay brings to soap anyway, so helping anchor the scent is really a bonus. I also trialed Natrasorb, but I didn’t feel it worked as well. I tried bentonite clay also, but it’s a little scratchy, not something I would want in every soap.
It is great you found it helps but I will stick to my opinion that it does not and I have made a lot of soap with Kaolin and other clays. It is wonderful we all get to have our opinions. :D:D I have had Blood Orange that does hold and some that does not it seems to vary. For a while I was on a kick of using Kaolin when it was popular in soap but after a few years gave up using it, but really never used it with the mindset of scent retention. There just is not much I have not done when it comes to making soap.

It is great you found it helps but I will stick to my opinion that it does not and I have made a lot of soap with Kaolin and other clays. It is wonderful we all get to have our opinions. :D:D I have had Blood Orange that does hold and some that does not it seems to vary. For a while I was on a kick of using Kaolin when it was popular in soap but after a few years gave up using it, but really never used it with the mindset of scent retention. There just is not much I have not done when it comes to making soap.
No problem, just explaining my experience and process. My point here was I used the same essential oil for both soaps. I buy most of my essential oils from New Directions Aromatics. I’ve been at this a long time as well. In January, it’ll be 12 years.

Hi @Gaisy. Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol. I’ve never found it in stores. Only online.
Sorbitol (/ˈsɔː(r)bɪtɒl/), less commonly known as glucitol (/ˈɡluːsɪtɒl/), is a sugar alcohol with a sweet taste which the human body metabolizes slowly. It can be obtained by reduction of glucose, which changes the converted aldehydegroup (−CHO) to a primary alcohol group (−CH2OH). Most sorbitol is made from potato starch, but it is also found in nature, for example in apples, pears, peaches, and prunes.[3] It is converted to fructose by sorbitol-6-phosphate 2-dehydrogenase. Sorbitol is an isomer of mannitol, another sugar alcohol; the two differ only in the orientation of the hydroxyl group on carbon 2.[4] While similar, the two sugar alcohols have very different sources in nature, melting points, and uses.
Wow great info thank you!

Latest posts

Back