Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does adding 1 tablespoon of Kaolin Clay PPO instead of 1 teaspoon PPO make bars a bit crumbly on edges or the bars in general a bit drying once cured?

New to CP soap and Just made 55oz. Loaf and used 5 tablespoons of kaolin mixed with FO. Cut loaf this morning and edges are a little crumbly. Tested PH and they are between 8-9. Not seeing any cracking yet. Did not use sodium lactate . 3 tablespoons of honey was used in recipe as well as 2% beeswax. Thank you all for insight!

Any clay absorbs water when added to soap, which is why some pre-dispersed with a wee bit of water. Also, 1 tablespoon PPO as recommended above is 1 tablespoon per pound of oil (just the weight of the oils in you recipe). If 55oz is your oil weight... Per pound of oil ... 55oz divided by 16 (ounces per pound) is around 3 1/2 tablespoons. If you loaf's total weight is 55oz that could possible be a little too much clay as well. One of my first batches of soap was a "Lots of Clay" bar I found online and I wasn't even able to mix in all the clay recommended before I had to plop it into the mold and bang the heck outta it!. It was one of the hardest bars of soap I've made to date and was a really awesome bar. I'm going to need to dig through my soap closet to see if any is left!! With the beeswax and sugar, I'm sure your loaf heated up. So you soap is definitely going to be hard. The crumbly part I'm not sure, would definitely do a zap test before using.

Last edited:
Any clay absorbs water when added to soap, which is why some pre-dispersed with a wee bit of water. Also, 1 tablespoon PPO as recommended above is 1 tablespoon per pound of oil (just the weight of the oils in you recipe). If 55oz is your oil weight... Per pound of oil ... 55oz divided by 16 (ounces per pound) is around 3 1/2 tablespoons. If you loaf's total weight is 55oz that could possible be a little too much clay as well. One of my first batches of soap was a "Lots of Clay" bar I found online and I wasn't even able to mix in all the clay recommended before I had to plop it into the mold and bang the heck outta it!. It was one of the hardest bars of soap I've made to date and was a really awesome bar. I'm going to need to dig through my soap closet to see if any is left!! With the beeswax and sugar, I'm sure your loaf heated up. So you soap is definitely going to be hard. The crumbly part I'm not sure, would definitely do a zap test before using.
Thank you for the feedback 😊 The bar is starting to harden nicely now. I think the crumbles came from cutting the loaf when it was still a little soft... Excess soap bits left around edges. Zap test was good as well as PH. Loaf heated up but still had to be put in oven to complete gel. I'm so happy to hear you had a lots of clay bar that turned out well. Gives me hope that this bar will be ok once cured. Just hope it's not drying. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210928_111523121~2.jpg
    IMG_20210928_111523121~2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 20
I just made a batch using kaolin clay for the first time.
I wish i read your thread earlier tho, i only put 1 tsp of kaolin clay for 860gr of oils and apparently it's not enough to make the soap feels different. Now I'm anxious 😩

I just made a batch using kaolin clay for the first time.
I wish i read your thread earlier tho, i only put 1 tsp of kaolin clay for 860gr of oils and apparently it's not enough to make the soap feels different. Now I'm anxious 😩
I usually put one teaspoon PPO in all my soaps. Usually mix it in my FO. But if I don’t want it to affect the color of the soap I begrudgingly leave it out. I can tell the difference! But I do love kaolin clay! You put what I usually do in my soaps… if I did my math correctly!?!? Your oil weight was around 16 oz so 1 tsp PPO. So I think it’ll be a nice soap, creamy with a good slip. But that’s of course my personal opinion! 🥸😎
But remember, there’s always the next batch to try more if you want.

Hi @violets2217 thanks,
I just cut and tested my soap, i think the soap bar is slightly more slippery, the lather is more lotiony small dense bubbles but not much difference.
I notice big difference in color tho, somehow it looks more.... pastel color? Brighter? Im not sure what's the right word sorry 😂
This might be obvious but... if i use kaolin clay 1 Tbsp ppo instead of 1tsp ppo, will i need more mica to make the color pop or it won't effect much?
I find kaolin clay speed up trace so i'd like to prepare as much as i could

If I want my micas to stay true and bright I don’t add kaolin clay. I do find it gives mica a pastel color. Also adding more mica to compensate may also contribute to acceleration. So something to think about.

Latest posts

Back