Kaolin Clay in bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

noni2009

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a recipe for bath bombs and am needing to know how much kaolin clay to add to make my bath bombs more hard. I find that they are breaking so I wanted to add a stabilizing ingredient. If someone sees something wrong with my recipe please let me know.

.20 oz. Epsom salt
.45 oz butters
10 oz of baking soda
5 oz of citric acid
5 nl if FO

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could I ask why you're putting in less than 1/4 oz Epsom salt? I don't use Epsom salt in mine; I use sea salt instead. The recipe I use calls for 100 grams (3.5 oz) of Epsom Salt (or sea salt), so for a recipe of your size, you could use up to 50 grams (1.75 oz).

The recipe I use is about double your recipe. It calls for 20 grams (.70 oz) of Kaolin, so for a recipe of your size, .35 oz or so.

As for oils/butters, for a recipe of your size, 5 grams should be fine. You can add a touch more if you think they need it.

noni2009

Reaction score
Thank you misschief, I will tweak my recipe according to your advice. Am I putting in too much butters?

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My recipe is very similar to the one posted above. I use cocoa butter in mine and Epsom Salt or Sea Salt. I've also made a couple other tweaks.

umeali

Reaction score
i use Kaolyn clay n my recipes but never used Epsom salt .unable to find exact quantity but in 12 cups of BS use 8 tea spoons of clay

Latest posts