Kale in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I searched the forum and the best I could come up with was a post from 2014 that wondered about it but didnt post their results. Anyone use kale or kale powder in their soaps?

no, just no.... Kale is gross.

ok ok so I don't know about soaping it, just eating it is yucky to ME !!!

hahahhahaa

Hi msunnerstood,
I too happend to be looking for information on additives and came across this (below) detailed thread of what can be added into soaps. It turns out you can add anything into soap.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-additives-specialty-ingredients-what-do-you-use.48524/

But what i was actually after was to understand if any of these additives hold their properties post soaponification.
Like Turmeric is a miracle plant and we here in India use to for soooo many things, both externally and is also consumed.
But will SOME, if not ALL the benefits actually carry fwd post the soponification process?

I ask because i have read so many studies that say that we Indians might actually be cooking out food way too much to get the yummy flavors our foods have, but in the bargain we lose the "Goodness" of the ingredients that are used to make it, like foro example.... hmmmm turmeric. This is quite opposed to the Chinese and the Japaneses ways of cooking which retains the "goodness" of the ingredients and thus helps the population have stronger immune systems, give then their young looks and awesome skin.

So what i found is that there are two types of additives,

1) Additives used to provide the soap with properties that it does not originally have, like Castile soaps don't make lather and sugar is added for that reason. Similarly we can add,
Sodium Lactate, Sodium Acetate, Sodium Chloride - for hardness and ease of unmolding
Some Clays for slip and to anchor the fragrance in the soaps
Some roots for the color they give (we need to know how to color transforms, if it does, post soponification)

2) Additives that are supposed to be very beneficial for the skin and don't really add to the properties of the soap except might be the speed of the trace. Like Spices, Herbs, Roots, resigns etc (quite a comprehensive list in the link i provided in this article a lil above)

SO i wonder if the second set of additives are just to make for an attractive label and variations in the soap shop or do SOME, if not ALL the benefits actually carry fwd post the soponification process?

Kale itself is not native here so no clue... :) Sorry!

Ah but kale is so good... kale, potatoes.. cooked in a pot, mashed.. served with gravy and farmer's sausage with a bit of yellow mustard... a true Dutch treat. I grew up eating it. BUT the kale needs a touch of frost first.

JANUARY !!?!??? Shoot, November and we have frost... if not snow lol
I thought WI was a 'Cold" state like me
Trust me it is. It's like somebody turned off the heat and turned on the October this morning. I just figured it would have to be cold to frost through a Box in through a packet so January sounded like enough

Hi msunnerstood,
I too happend to be looking for information on additives and came across this (below) detailed thread of what can be added into soaps. It turns out you can add anything into soap.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-additives-specialty-ingredients-what-do-you-use.48524/

But what i was actually after was to understand if any of these additives hold their properties post soaponification.
Like Turmeric is a miracle plant and we here in India use to for soooo many things, both externally and is also consumed.
But will SOME, if not ALL the benefits actually carry fwd post the soponification process?

I ask because i have read so many studies that say that we Indians might actually be cooking out food way too much to get the yummy flavors our foods have, but in the bargain we lose the "Goodness" of the ingredients that are used to make it, like foro example.... hmmmm turmeric. This is quite opposed to the Chinese and the Japaneses ways of cooking which retains the "goodness" of the ingredients and thus helps the population have stronger immune systems, give then their young looks and awesome skin.

So what i found is that there are two types of additives,

1) Additives used to provide the soap with properties that it does not originally have, like Castile soaps don't make lather and sugar is added for that reason. Similarly we can add,
Sodium Lactate, Sodium Acetate, Sodium Chloride - for hardness and ease of unmolding
Some Clays for slip and to anchor the fragrance in the soaps
Some roots for the color they give (we need to know how to color transforms, if it does, post soponification)

2) Additives that are supposed to be very beneficial for the skin and don't really add to the properties of the soap except might be the speed of the trace. Like Spices, Herbs, Roots, resigns etc (quite a comprehensive list in the link i provided in this article a lil above)

SO i wonder if the second set of additives are just to make for an attractive label and variations in the soap shop or do SOME, if not ALL the benefits actually carry fwd post the soponification process?

Kale itself is not native here so no clue... :) Sorry!
Thank you! Interesting thread.

...But what i was actually after was to understand if any of these additives hold their properties post soaponification....

Most people who ask this type of question are wanting quick, easy answers to complicated science questions or they are seeking confirmation of their belief in the magical properties of additive X. There are no simple answers that I know of and magic has never worked for me. The quickest, easiest response is "don't ever assume that it does."

The list of additives is endless. To answer this question in detail, a person would have to narrow down which additives to study and then conduct science experiments for each additive. Very few soapers have the chemistry lab needed to do this type of work. The people who do have chem labs generally don't do this type of research because there's no funding to pay for it.

Another issue that is usually overlooked by people who ask this type of question -- Let's assume the "goodness" in any additive actually does survive saponification. Do these additives in soap actually provide any benefit in the short time the soap lather is on the skin? That poses another series of experiments, but this time in dermatology. Again, not many of us work in dermatology, and the ones who do work in the field generally don't have the funding.

Frankly, if I want to use an additive to get the most benefit from it, I put it in a lotion or salve. The additive in a lotion or salve isn't exposed to heat nor to strong alkali. And it can stay on the skin long enough to do whatever good it is going to do.

For me I was intrested more in the color it would add and the label appeal
my geeky self wants to test it out But if others had already tried it and had issues then it would be a waste of time

It's also a rinse off product so I wasn't as worried about the properties it would bring verses the issues I didn't want it to bring if that makes sense. If someone found it very drying or stripping then I would avoid it

Usually with most green it will either go a tan to dark tan soap batter. In the case of Spirula, it will initially make a pretty bluish green, but after a short time the soap color will start fading to a goldish green. When I used kale, lettuce, spinach etc the green does not come through, but I was not using powdered. Just make a small batch and use it for a swirl and see what color your soaps ends up.

I have used kale infused oil in soap. I can't say as I noticed anything special about the resulting soap. There was no green to the soap once it cured, although the oil was fairly green when it went into the mix. The soap was uncolored, but very white once it set up and stayed white during and after cure.

As far as label appeal, sure. Kale-infused oils would hold label appeal for me and probably many people, but I did not really notice a difference in the soap over any other soaps I made at that time.

Ah but kale is so good... kale, potatoes.. cooked in a pot, mashed.. served with gravy and farmer's sausage with a bit of yellow mustard... a true Dutch treat. I grew up eating it. BUT the kale needs a touch of frost first.

That sounds really good but would prefer collards or turnip greens with the root. My mama used to steam kale and put it on the table. The only way it was bearable was with vinegar. Mama loved it. I hated it. My sister hated it. My dad didn't say anything but ate it. Haven't touched it since. Nasty stuff.

Back