Just started today :) happy to make new friends

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanyStar

Reaction score
After years of wanting to make soap, I now find myself with a bit of time in which to try, now my kids are older. Received my melt n pour in the post today, along with the oils, petals, moulds and dyes. Eeek!! I so want to make different soaps, ones that make people go WOW. I'm using a separate bowl and weighing scales just for soap making, but finding it hard to wash the soap off as it sets quickly. Do I need to wash the bowl to get rid of every trace each time? Sorry if that sounds gross lol, just struggling getting all the soap out. Also have bubbles in the soap but can't see alcohol to buy online. Happy to make new friends on here.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.
After emptying the bowl, set it aside for a while - the residual soap will set and you can peel it off easily like a face mask. No mess. :)

welcome9.gif

Isopropyl alcohol, or rubbing alcohol, as it is often called here, is available at pharmacies, an most stores that have a first aid type section in the US. So I would suggest checking a pharmacy. I have read that what we call 'rubbing alcohol is called 'surgical spirit' in the UK.

I think surgical spirit is different - you can get Isopropyl alcohol on eBay - I used to be spray cans from Maplins before they went under and before I relasied that eBay was a million times cheaper!!

I think surgical spirit is different - you can get Isopropyl alcohol on eBay - I used to be spray cans from Maplins before they went under and before I relasied that eBay was a million times cheaper!!
Does the isopropyl alcohol you get from ebay have that distinctive surgical spirit odour?

I dont know what surgical spirit smells like I dont think I have ever used it! I buy my Isopropyl from a chemical supplier on eBay.

Also have bubbles in the soap but can't see alcohol to buy online.
Welcome to the Asylum, Romany! Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol 70% is fine to use. Should find it at the corner pharmacy or grocery store even. It's very common here. Maybe you have another name for it. I just attach a sprayer to the top once the cap is off the bottle and use it that way.

Hello! I love MP. Your molds do not need to be washed much, specially silicone ones when using MP. Also, what I do with my bowl ( I use a glass pyrex cup) is let hot water run through it, and it washes itself. If I am in a hurry, I fill it with hot water and put it in the microwave for a minute, then rinse. Be careful if you do the later, as hot water from the microwave can jump, and you could get burned.

Back