Just some quick advice.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph

Reaction score
My first attempt at a loaf bar. The ends are nice even smooth colours. The more towards the centre, the bars get a darker middle. I tried looking up and something about gelling or gell phase?? I haven't had this with the single bar moulds I usually use. It was a plywood mould with a silicone mould inside. I wrapped it in towels but left it in a cold utility room. Anything I could do to stop this next time?

20160115_111555.jpg

20160115_111447.jpg

That's what is called partial gel. It didn't gel all the way through only in the center. It's cosmetic and won't affect your soap at all. It will also fade some with cure.

Loaf molds cause more heat than individual molds. It's very difficult to get individual molds to gel without some added heat.

With loaf molds you can either put them in the fridge to avoid gel or cover with towel to help them gel fully. I personall gel all my soaps. I put a cover over the top and then lay a towel or two over that. Just check them periodically to make sure they don't overheat.

Very nice soap though!

Yes, heat caused the gel phase in the center of the loaf. Using only silicone or plexiglass molds while also putting it in the fridge, you might avoid this in the future. It also depends on the recipe and additives that are raising the temperature of the mix.

I always do a full gel in my soaps by CPOPing in a wooden mold because I like to give this tiny extra longevity property that this phase gives to a soap, as I don't mind much about the final colors. But this is just me.

Nikos

Your soap looks great except for the gel problem. I really like the simple but elegant colours.

With goats milk soap I avoid gel by putting it in the fridge. With other soap you can encourage soap to gel by heating the oven to 110 degrees F then putting the soap in the oven and turn it off straight away. Leave it there overnight. That is one definition of CPOP. [emoji2] I think ensuring gel makes the colours more vibrant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It's appreciated. I'll try keep it in a warmer place next time.

I always gel, I wrap my wood mold up well in towels and put it on a gentle heating pad for 8-12 hours.

If this look bothers you and this is freshly unmolded soap, you can put them all back together and put them back in the mold, then heat in a 190 degree oven for 45-60 min. It will greatly minimize the look if not make it disappear. Very pretty soap either way!

If this look bothers you and this is freshly unmolded soap, you can put them all back together and put them back in the mold, then heat in a 190 degree oven for 30 min (if the ungelled part is still zappy)-60 min (if the ungelled part is not zappy). It will greatly minimize the look if not make it disappear. Very pretty soap either way!

Latest posts

Back