Just made my first soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblesink

Reaction score
I just made my first batch of melt and pour soap and I'm pretty excited about it! I used goat's milk base and scented with oatmeal, milk, and honey. I thought I'd experiment a bit, so I added some oats to the mold first, then put a thin layer of white base (scented) and then coloured more base a pale yellow and poured that on the top. It was fun! I did have bubbles on the surface so I spritzed with rubbing alcohol which is what I read I should do.

Here's my question though. How long do I have to wait before I take them out of the mold?

Until they are hard. If you want to get them out sooner, pop them in the fridge for about thirty mins.

They were really easy! They're out drying now and they smell amazing! You just use 2 cups of dead sea salt, 1 tbsp dendtritic salt, 1 tsp sodium lauryl sulfocetate, 1/4 tsp fragrance oil. I chose strawberry shortcake and then decided to colour them pink. I used 4 drops of red liquid dye. Unfortunately they turned out a really pretty lavender colour. lol They're just for me though so it's not a huge deal. I'm thinking it was a reaction between the colour and the FO. Who knows...

Sure! You can't really tell the true colour of them from the image, but they really are pretty. Too bad they didn't smell like grape. The bowl really foamed up when I went to wash it out so I think they'll work very well.

[/img]

Very nice... I might have to try these some day... I just got pulled into the world of bath bombs...

No, it's not sodium lauryl sulfate. It's sulfoacetate. Here's info about it.

Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate vs. Sodium lauryl sulfate
Although an ingredient's name may sound similar to another, it does not mean that the molecules are similar with respect to shape, size, performance or even function. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate sounds similar to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, however, the two molecules are quite different from each other. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is a large molecule ingredient. Large molecule ingredients are considered to be mild, gentle, and non-irritating, as they cannot penetrate the skin. In contrast, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a small molecule ingredient, and is capable of penetrating the skin, which can increase the occurrence of skin irritation.

bubblesink said:
No, it's not sodium lauryl sulfate. It's sulfoacetate. Here's info about it.

Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate vs. Sodium lauryl sulfate
Although an ingredient's name may sound similar to another, it does not mean that the molecules are similar with respect to shape, size, performance or even function. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate sounds similar to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, however, the two molecules are quite different from each other. Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is a large molecule ingredient. Large molecule ingredients are considered to be mild, gentle, and non-irritating, as they cannot penetrate the skin. In contrast, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate is a small molecule ingredient, and is capable of penetrating the skin, which can increase the occurrence of skin irritation.

Ok, I tried to look up Sodium lauryl sulfoacetate when I first read this thread and couldn't find anything on it so I figured you meant Sodium lauryl sulfate. That's good.

Are we talking about the bath bombs or foaming salts...Whats going on?? All of a sudden we are talking about poison??

Latest posts

Back