Just made my first batch and a question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarathan

Reaction score
I just finished my first batch of cp soap! :mrgreen: I was nervous working with the lye, lol. I hope it turns out!!

I have a quick question.... What's the best way to clean up? I'm talking about things like the soap pot, stick blender.... all the things with raw gooey soap. Can I just wash them in the sink and let it go down the drain? Would it clog up my drain? This time I wiped as much of the gooey soap off as I could with paper towels and then just washed everything in the sink.

Thanks! :)

Never put raw soap down your drain. what happens is it thickens up and then you have stuck soap in your drain. Can cause major problems.

IF you have time what I do is leave everything except the stickblender for several hours or even until the next day before cleaning up. then the soap has had a chance to solidify, and saponify a bit and you can kind of get a feel for the lathering effect of your soap and it's much easier and not as much of an oily, greasy mess doing it that way.
I'm able to do that because I have several of the same size pots to continue soaping if I want too. (that's why I only clean the stick blender)

I just wipe out my pot with a towel & set the towel somehwere out of the reach of others & let the soap on it saponify. I then just throw it into the laundry.

If I don't need my soap pot right away, I let it sit for a few days for the soap to saponify, then clean it.

Hi Sara,

I use my spatula to try to scrape as much out of the bowl and off the stick blender into the mold as I possibly can to minimize cleanup. Then I take old rags and wipe everything down until there's really not a trace of any soap left. I set the rags aside for a couple of days to "cure" and then throw 'em in the wash with dishtowels as a laundry booster.

Latest posts

Back