Just made my 1st facial soap, wish me luck

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably me, because grapeseed and castor is the mix I use. But I'm not the only one here thats mentioned oil cleansing recently.

Yea I still get the occasional blackhead, but I also feel it will probably take a certain amount of time for my face to recover from the past. Plus there are things that can affect it, like I didn't think of this before but if you wash your oil cleansing washcloths with the rest of your laundry and use fabric softener, it can irritate your face. So I'm going to start washing mine separately. I do currently use free and clear dryer sheets, I've got a gigantic box to go through before I switch to dryer balls. And occasionally my washcloths end up with roommates laundry and so get washed with their detergent and dryer sheets which I don't like. Also, my issue with the shower water!

I've always been a face picker... What I do now is after I'm done with my oil cleansing routine, I look around for blackheads and squeeze them out then. My face is clean, my hands are clean, and my pores are open from the heat and so I don't end up squeezing too hard or picking and damaging the skin. Also probably part of my detox from picking! I think once I've got EVERYTHING worked out I probably won't get the blackheads or need to pick. Because the difference in my skin already is amazing, especially whiteheads. Like the skin on my forehead and chin used to feel bumpy with what I think was whiteheads, that was the first thing to go away with oil cleansing. Then noticing how smooth my nose was as well and the pores shrinking.

Probably me, because grapeseed and castor is the mix I use. But I'm not the only one here thats mentioned oil cleansing recently.

Yea I still get the occasional blackhead, but I also feel it will probably take a certain amount of time for my face to recover from the past. Plus there are things that can affect it, like I didn't think of this before but if you wash your oil cleansing washcloths with the rest of your laundry and use fabric softener, it can irritate your face. So I'm going to start washing mine separately. I do currently use free and clear dryer sheets, I've got a gigantic box to go through before I switch to dryer balls. And occasionally my washcloths end up with roommates laundry and so get washed with their detergent and dryer sheets which I don't like. Also, my issue with the shower water!

I've always been a face picker... What I do now is after I'm done with my oil cleansing routine, I look around for blackheads and squeeze them out then. My face is clean, my hands are clean, and my pores are open from the heat and so I don't end up squeezing too hard or picking and damaging the skin. Also probably part of my detox from picking! I think once I've got EVERYTHING worked out I probably won't get the blackheads or need to pick. Because the difference in my skin already is amazing, especially whiteheads. Like the skin on my forehead and chin used to feel bumpy with what I think was whiteheads, that was the first thing to go away with oil cleansing. Then noticing how smooth my nose was as well and the pores shrinking.

i think it was you indeed, Lin.. so, thank you.. i am liking the grapeseed-castor combo so far. i am a face picker as well :D i can stand in front of the magnified mirror for as long as i like picking whatever needs to be picked. my goal is to make my forehead and cheeks less bumpy from the whiteheads. before, it was real agressive, new ones everyday.. now, not so much. so yeah, i'm quite optimistic :)

i use sponge (not the kind you use for compact powder or foundation) to wipe the oil. and afterwards, i just give it a quick wash with soap. i find this more easy rather than keeping a washcloth. this way, i can just throw out the sponge every 1-2 weeks.

I have made a carrot and honey facial bar that has worked very well for my adult acne, but even better than that, I wash with raw honey once a day. I just apply a thin layer of honey to my face, then after a minute wash it off with warm water. My skin feels soft and has really cleared up. Not dry at all. I have been able to stop using moisturizer.

I use lemongrass and rosemary in my shampoo bar, made with neem, hemp and other basic oils like coconut, olive and castor. It's a fine combo with neem.

I am trying to find the recipe on Teach Soap and having difficulty.:problem: :oops:
My older son is having acne issues. He has started using the 15% neem soap that I made a while back and it's helping some. I'm going to make another batch of facial soap with only EO's for scent, and without CO. Not super fond of the neem smell but I think it will be worth dealing with. Thinking about doing 20% neem this time. Maybe I'll use Lemongrass EO. Would that smell be gross with the neem?

**Update** Well, I had some free time today so I decided to try this combo. of oils. All of them are supposed to be low on the comodogenicity list.

Lard
Safflower oil
Shea butter
Castor oil
Neem oil
Hemp oil

I added Lemongrass EO in the hope that it would cover some of the neem smell. I think it worked. I put my little soap ball (from scraping the crock pot) into the refrigerator to cool, and when I took it out about all I could smell was the Lemongrass. This batch should be free of anything irritating to my skin so we'll see how it handles the acne issue.

Using soap after the oil actually defeats the purpose somewhat, because oil cleansing is more gentle than soap to avoid stripping too much oil which can make your face overproduce oil or break out. If the oil combo isn't cleaning enough you can up the amount of castor oil. I have very little castor oil in my mix and still apply a little avocado oil once my face has dried. If I have even just a little too much castor oil my face ends up stripped and dry afterwards.

IMO I'd rather do the washcloths, I don't use a washcloth for more than 2 days in a row. When I used the same washcloth too many times I had problems.

I've been considering alternating with honey but raw honey is so expensive, the oil is cheap! And oil can be mixed with the honey for removing makeup if needed.

Latest posts

Back