Just looking for suggestions/opinions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
As of late I'm starting to feel a little tightness in my hands when using my soaps. I have kept my coconut oil percentage low since I seem to be a little sensitive to its magical cleansing powers. Looking at the image attached you'll see my recipe and I'm looking for any suggestions to make it less stripping. I am thinking of going from 5% SF to about 7%. I'm also thinking about dropping the CO percentage to 10% or maybe less. Given my choice of oils, what would you guys do?
I get that everyone will have different experiences but since I'm readying to make a couple more batches I'll be willing to experiment.

Thanks!

Soap.jpg

You could also try 20 on the avocado and 50 or 60 on the lard. Take it from a combo of the coconut and palm.

It could be winter having that effect on your skin, assuming you're in northern hemisphere. I formulate some of my recipes different in the winter than summer. I'll even use some shea. Cold and/or dry conditions warrant a change; I don't always remember to plan ahead but we're certainly not too far at this point to allow a good cure and use before spring.

Palm can go both ways for dry skin. I'd suggest dropping the palm, upping the avocado oil to 20% at most and adding the other 10% to the lard.

I would drop the palm, add all of that to the lard, then up your SF to 8%. I always up my SF for winter to 8%. I know my skin. The only thing I put lotion on is my hands. And that is because I wash my hands so much.

I'll add my vote to dropping the palm. I was gifted a bar with palm (I don't use it) and had to move it to washing hands at the sink, it was just too cleansing. My hands are still super dry but the rest of my skin is starting to recover.

Thanks to everyone for their replies and suggestions. So, one thing I'm a but ashamed to admit is that I'm not too up to speed on the exact properties of all oils. I know I like a nice, hard bar that lasts long and that's what those ingredients get me. Im aware that CO is cleansing but is palm oil generally also considered to high in the cleansing dept?
Lots of suggestions and ideas and I'm pretty sure I'll try most out.

Thanks again!

Looking at soapcalc, it appears I was wrong about the cleansing. It's conditioning and creamy. Ignore what I said, I need to study a bit more on oil properties

Palm kernel oil has high cleansing properties, but regular palm does not.

Speaking for myself, I didn't recommend dropping the amount of palm you use due to its cleansing properties, but instead suggested it to accommodate higher levels of the other other oils - especially avocado which has relatively high unsaponifiables that can help with dry skin.

I would only up the OO and the rest is fine, You do not need the palm when you use lard, I usually use up to 50% of lard very creamy and gentle soap
Even the way it is , it would be decent soap.

Latest posts

Back