Just in case you haven't heard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on the referenced report, rice looks like it’s the biggest problem and especially whole grain rice in cereals and rice -based snacks. The vegetables that have the highest concentrations are sweet potatoes and carrots. I thought I read that the metals are coming from the environment (soil, air, etc) and are in both organic and non organic baby foods, but I couldn’t find that section of the text on a second read through.

Coincidentally, I gave my baby rice cereal for the first time today... guess I should pay attention.
The report says 19 out of 20 baby foods had "detectable levels" of heavy metals etc. but isn't that present in pretty much all food? From being grown in soil and water, as foods tend to be? I'm not convinced I should be worried yet.

Then again, I might have symptoms from consuming heavy metals myself. Is my "eroded IQ" from my veggies or lack of sleep? (The struggle is real).

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to fly into a rage and cry at the same time. Where is the accountability? How was this allowed to go on for so long? It makes my heart hurt to know that both of my boys ate food that had heavy metals in them. I trusted these companies. I trusted the food was safe.

It seems that different soils have a different metal percentage. I remember an article about 5 years ago that was addressing rice grown in the south verses west. The southern soils (Texas/Arkansas/Louisiana) had a much higher metal content and rice reflected that.

Oh dear Lord...the sky is falling, the sky is falling.
My kids are in there 30's so I don't really keep up with baby things, but I do know people use baby food in their soaps and I'm sure they would rather not have DOS. I brought it up in relation to soap but really if my kids were young I think I might want to avoid feeding them toxic heavy metals, but then again, maybe that's just me. :(

I am very glad you posted this and I'll read it over a couple times for sure!

My immediate reaction from reading the linked report is "are you kidding you want me to give my kid a healthy balanced diet and never eat rice???" but of course we can manage a little moderation in our diets. I am glad studies like this are being done.

Some parts of this report strike me as sensationalist though, probably because I'm reading this in bits and pieces. "Abt's analysis estimates that children age 0 to 24 months lose more than 11 million IQ points from exposure to arsenic and lead in food." Ahem, how many IQ points are lost per child? Or holy moly babies are beyond genius!! And am I missing the part where they mentioned how they are doing this study? Control groups etc. I think it said somewhere that it was a population wide study, but then... ok I need sleep then I'll try to read it again.

I really like my veggies and rice (and beans of course. I don't remember any meantion of beans, but who wants beans without rice?)

Last edited:
My kids are in there 30's so I don't really keep up with baby things, but I do know people use baby food in their soaps and I'm sure they would rather not have DOS. I brought it up in relation to soap but really if my kids were young I think I might want to avoid feeding them toxic heavy metals, but then again, maybe that's just me. :(

I went back to the original report this morning and while I didn’t have a lot of time to get in-depth, I did note a general lack of comparison studies. Hence my comment.

Reading this, it seems very sensationalized. All foods have a level of heavy metals in them from the soil they are grown in, including ones you grow in your own yard. I have a 1 year old infant, and while I almost exclusively fed her homemade purees for cost purposes, I have no qualms about the store bought purees and puff snacks we feed her in a pinch. This article is poor reporting and a poor study with little scientific value.

I started this post for those who use baby food in soap, it was not brought up to be controversial or to frighten anyone. :oops:
Haha don't worry, it is a good thread.
And, after a little harrumphing I went out and bought some oat cereal for baby, just in case :)

Back