Just how are you supposed to make body butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just throw stuff in a bowl and whip because I just make for myself. But I have so much Shea, mango, cocoa, cupucua butter, I thought I make a proper batch. Is there a rule about how much hard to soft oils? Or have a good recipe to share?

We’ve got Santa Ana winds bringing all kinds of little brush fires around here, need something positive to instead of constantly checking CalFire for reports.

My recipe is simple: 25% oil to 75% butter. My oil of choice is meadowfoam seed oil, and my butter of choice is kokum butter, although I sometimes do part kokum/part mango butter.

IrishLass :)
Do you just whip yours together, or do you heat, chill, whip? Or some other way? TIA

Hi Baylee- I actually don't whip mine at all. I prefer my body butter on the dense side. I just melt the butters, add the oil and mix together with a spoon. Next, I chill it the freezer until just set, and then keep it at room temp from there on out. To use, I just scoop out a small amount with a cosmetic spoon as needed.

IrishLass :)

I go 80/20% but mainly Shea and Mango butters.
I too like them more dense but do whip it a bit.
I melt, then cool in freezer with a kitchen towel around the bowl so that the bowl doesn't get tooo cold, then whip for a while, cool a little and whip till it is my denseness .
Course this is mainly for me and my sister

I don't have a recipe - I just add until the texture is right. I really need to get a tried-and-true percentage I like! I do like mine whipped - makes it easier to apply. Remember that whipping = friction = heat, so your final product will be a LOT firmer than it is immediately after whipping. I've had to pry/scoop my whipped butter out the jar and add more liquid oils on several occassions, which is why I really need a percentage! I suggest that when you are done (or think you are done), you let the product rest for an hour or so, to reach room temp. Then see if it's at your desired softness.

Back