Just had an awesome idea!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just when I was thinking a luminous soap made with "glow in the dark" micas seemed borderline outrageous. You topped that one! :mrgreen:

1b34_glow_nuclear_3pack_element_soaps.jpg

I remember reading that after Radium was discovered by the Curies there was a fad where companies put it in everything from soap to face creams to food. 1920s if memory serves

You could add uranium and market it as Beverly Beauty Soap :p

(Just in case this went over anyone's head, Beverly is the name of a uranium mine in Australia)

I remember reading that after Radium was discovered by the Curies there was a fad where companies put it in everything from soap to face creams to food. 1920s if memory serves

Yes. And Marie Curie would carry a lump around with her to demonstrate how safe it was. The Poisoner's Handbook, by Deborah Blum, has an interesting section about the girls who painted the numbers in the glow-in-the-dark watches of that time. They would paint their lips with the radioactive paint for fun, thinking it was safe!

Last edited:
I remember watching a documentary about all that^^^- about how radium was once touted as something that could boost your health/enhance your beauty, etc... If they had but only known. Pretty tragic the aftermath.

IrishLass :)

Isn't there a old I Love Lucy show where they head to the desert to find uranium?
Why didn't science know at the start it was dangerous, no Geiger counters? Was this humanity'so first ever radioactive substance? Was it the subsequent illnesses and deaths that made them realize something was up?

If I remember right, the girls who painted clocks would lick their brushes to keep a point. After a few of them started to show signs of disintegrating bones starting with the jaw... the connections were made.

And just when I was thinking a luminous soap made with "glow in the dark" micas seemed borderline outrageous. You topped that one! :mrgreen:

1b34_glow_nuclear_3pack_element_soaps.jpg

Seriously, where can I get these soaps? I so would have them in the kitchen with some food in those "biohazard" bags. It would definitely through my ex through a loop.

I remember watching a documentary about all that^^^- about how radium was once touted as something that could boost your health/enhance your beauty, etc... If they had but only known. Pretty tragic the aftermath.

IrishLass :)
Radium was used in my eyes as a child to get rid of the eczema breakouts, all it really accomplished was destroying my eyelashes. I often wonder if that is what caused my cataracts at a younger age than most get cataracts. Also have Uveitis in one eye and it makes me wonder

And there's uranium in those yellow glazed early Fiesta ware pottery pieces that are still being sold in antique shops and flea markets.

Latest posts

Back