Just found Grandmother's soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. Here, butcher paper is almost the same as freezer paper - one side is coated, the other side isn't.
Yeah butcher paper here is similar to what Relle describes; it's a very lightweight, slightly creamy/beige coloured paper, along the lines of newsprint paper. You can buy it in long rolls and it's super cheap, it's often used as painting or craft paper for very young kids.
I've always used parchment for lining moulds anyway, and never had a problem with it - I can get 2 or 3 uses out of each piece if I'm careful.

Very interesting thread! I’m sure my grandmothers made soap in their younger years, but by the time I came along they were not. Often times I wish that I had their recipes. 😓

The butcher paper I use for cooking and barbecue isn't the same as the freezer paper I use for soap making (and wrapping food for freezing).

Freezer paper is a sturdy but thinner paper that's coated with plastic on one side. It's not meant for use with hot foods or in the oven.

Butcher paper is thicker, but doesn't have a plastic coating. It's resistant to tearing when it's oily but it doesn't have a huge amount of strength when it's wet with water-based liquids. It's good for wrapping hot foods and can be used in the smoker or oven.

Back