Just Finished...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapmage

Reaction score
I have a new EO blend that has rose, lavender, orange, and ylang-ylang, and decided to test it out. The pic doesn't show it, but the base is a light to medium green with a purple mica line, then topped with white and blue cornflowers. Speaking of mica lines... I'm still very new to doing them, and my question is how on earth do you get the lines cleaned up in the mold well enough to not get any on your top layer?!? I cleaned as best I could, but when I looked through my silicone mold I could see purple smeared all on the sides. Not to mention it's messy as heck, which is why I don't do them that often. But I love how the lines look in soap, so I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Anyway, I'm hoping to cut it in a day or 2 to see how it turns out. It does smell lovely though! :D

0612151355a.jpg

0612151355.jpg

I don't do them a lot but I've found that whatever sticks on the side of the mold and therefore on the side of your soap is easily rinsed off or wiped off. Some people are very good at cleaning the sides of the mold between layers or after the line, using a damp paper towel or I believe some people place a sheet of waxed paper along the sides while they sprinkle and then remove the paper. As a non-seller, I take the messy approach and just clean the sides of the soap after unmolding.

I just learned to get my soap to a thicker trace, and pour the top layer over the spatula to avoid getting the line material onto the sides of the mold. Took some getting used to that thick a trace and how gently to pour, but time and perseverance won eventually.

Looks beautiful and I bet it smells even better! I can't wait to see it cut. I'm in the newbie camp and clean after I unmold. Sometimes it works great and sometimes speckles are left behind. Sometimes it looks pretty cool so that's when I say "I meant to do that!" Honestly, I've tried all the little tricks to avoid getting the mica on the next layer and I haven't had much luck. So I just try to be as careful as possible then wash the loaf after I've unmolded.

Thanks! I am definitely going to try the idea of using the wax paper on the sides while I'm dusting to see if that helps a bit. :)

Here it is cut

The mica did indeed get all over the sides but I'll wipe them down once they've dried a bit more. I'm very happy with the design and am finding that I'm enjoying doing the more simple designs here lately rather than the fancy swirls of which I still have yet to get the hang of. Plus around my neck of the woods, the more non-fancy seem to sell much better. But I'm ever evolving and my tastes in design are never constant lol! Once they're dried and beveled, I'll take better pics and post them since these were taken with my phone and the pics don't do the colors justice at all. That green is actually really lovely and the mica line is purple.

0613151107.jpg

0613151109.jpg

Lovely line and great texture, as usual. You stinker, I am jealous. I had a swirl obsession period but am tending towards more simple stuff as well, although it sure is fun cutting into each swirled bar and seeing how each is different ....

Lovely line and great texture, as usual. You stinker, I am jealous. I had a swirl obsession period but am tending towards more simple stuff as well, although it sure is fun cutting into each swirled bar and seeing how each is different ....

Thanks! And yes it is exciting! It's like Christmas every time I unmold and cut lol.

Oh those are SO pretty! And I adore that green!

Edit to add: After sprinkling the mica line on, I get a barely damp paper towel and wipe the sides clean before pouring the next layer. You can always shave or trim smears off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back