just experimenting, interesting results

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I was CP'ing the coffee soap my step-son requested and as long as I had my stuff out, I figured I might as well try something new . . .

I had this thread bookmarked, so I went to Soapcalc, pretty much just punched in a random mix of oils I had, and called it a recipe. I used my crockpot to melt my oils, so I just added the lye water/glycerin mix to that, SB'ed until it was thick--it kind of looked like the pics I've seen of lanolin at this point--unplugged the crockpot and sat it in my craft room.

I'll check on it tomorrow to see if it turned out okay and play with diluting it. So happy I stumbled across this thread. Blessings grayceworks!

Thank you so much for the recipe, I've been wanting to try liquid soup for a while. I am having a bit of trouble though. As the post count indicates I am a relative newbie. I triple checked my scale and ingredients. I decided to try the 100% CO recipe. I added the warm lye mixture to the warm oils in a warm crock pot base. Was very slow to get started then suddenly seized up. Didn't change color at all but got very thick. Like white petroleum jelly. Decided to turn on the crock pot and cook it for a little bit. After about an hour the PH was still very high. Decided to try and 200ml of distiller water and cook it and salvage what I can even if I have to adjust the PH later. It is soap and it lathers but the ph is still around 11 after another hour in the pot on high. I think I am just going to keep it hot overnight , then dilute and adjust the PH if I need to...unless there is another suggestion?

Edit: cooked it up and diluted it. Ph was almost neutral, so I was worried for nothing. Will see what happens after it sits overnight and then doctor it up tomorrow to hopefully make it smell like rose jam.

Last edited:
I'd say it's in the normal pH range of soap, which is typically 8-12. I would suggest throwing away those strips, though, and doing a simple zap test to test it for safety. It'll be more accurate and more reliable. Not to mention it's free

I'm sorry I didn't mean to say it was actually neutral but no zap and with a ph strip after dilution reads close to my tap water. Also phenolphthalein has no reaction and stays clear.

Latest posts

Back