Just cut my first attempt at hanger swirl:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Scented with BB Cucumber Oak. Poured at too-thin trace so swirl is not as nice as I wanted, but I am impatient. Something I need to get over for soaping!!

1) 75% lard - is that what the white spots are?? I soaped hot, at least 115F.

2) serious soda ash too! I started to CPOP it to ensure gel but then when I checked on it I saw it rising out of the mold a little and this on top - I thought it was about to volcano so i quick took it out and wrapped it in a towel instead. It was REALLY hot in the mold. Still was not completely cool this morning. It was only after I unwrapped it that I saw it was ash and not something really bad.

3) first time with my new silicone mold as well. How to prevent this from happening?

4) tried to decorate the top, even tried to wash the ash off before unmolding but it wasn't having any of that!

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1055.jpg

Pretty soap, wish I could answer your questions but I'm still wanting to CPOP.

Yes, I sometimes get the bubbles on the side when I cpop in silicone. But not always. I have yet to figure out why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
Is the fo you used a heater? I have found I'm just asking g for weird things (alien brains, ash, oil puddles) if I cpop a heating fo or if I use more water in my recipe.

If it accelerates then is it also a heater? Because it was way hotter in the mold than the (about 120F) oven around it when I took it out. I didn't know if that was from the gelling process or the FO though. I used Cucumber Oak which some of the reviews said accelerated pretty fast, but I did not find that to be so, even soaping hot, although I did only use 29% lye concentration.

Stearic spots. FO accelerated on ya. Would have probably done it without the oven.
Silicone molds tend to produce those bubbles when CPOPing or when the big A hits.

I'm still in the "so much to learn" place when it comes to FO's and colors. Some FO's play well at low water and some don't. I've gotten to the point that if a review says it A's I always have a plop and swear plan in reserve. Lilac in Bloom just might produce soap on a stick if you're not ready.

It's DW's favorite....

Yes, I sometimes get the bubbles on the side when I cpop in silicone. But not always. I have yet to figure out why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.
Is the fo you used a heater? I have found I'm just asking g for weird things (alien brains, ash, oil puddles) if I cpop a heating fo or if I use more water in my recipe.

I seem to have problems with silicone and CPOP as well. Finally just went back to wood mold only if CPOPing.

Pretty soap, nice colors.

I don't understand what stearic is exactly. Fat re-solidifying in the soap? I thought it would not do that when soaping hotter?

The FO overheated the soap causing the spots. That's my guess anyway. But it's only a guess. I blame the FO.

Nice colors and I'd bet that it made a wonderful soap too. how's the sample lather?

Back