Just curious as to who no longer uses commercial made soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used commercial soap since I started (seriously) making soap in 2015. My husband was a bit of a hold out but even he now agrees that my hand made soap is better than any store bought. He even prefers my shave soap to his canned shave cream, which he's been using forever.

I've only started making soap but once my bars cure, I'll probably be only using mine since there's a lot to finish lol

But I've been a fan for decades of handmade soap and don't use commercial ones unless I find myself in someone else's house and they only use store bought.

It's my only splurge since I don't really use other bath n body products..

The rest of my family hasn't fully converted so sometimes I'll see a store bought one if I have just one bar left and they don't wanna use mine lol but I plan on converting them when mine are ready to be given out... And the rest of my extended family, and probably the neighbors too..........

My friend Renae started making soap some years ago. Her preference was for a simple but balanced recipe with some shea; the bars were light tan with little or no fragrance. She gave me some of her soap early on in her soaping career ... and I confess it sat on my bathroom shelf for months. I forget what commercial bar soap (or cleanser) I was using at the time, but I do remember thinking Renae's soap was so ... rustic ... in comparison. I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

Fast forward to one day when we didn't have any store-bought soap and I resorted to using Renae's soap. I'm sure it was well cured by that time. ;) The skin feel after using her was markedly different and the soap didn't dry my skin like the commercial product did. My husband agreed. So we used Renae's soap exclusively for some years. Some years ago, I decided to try soap making, and I now supply soap to Renae. It's a good deal all around.

I'll use commercial soap only if I have to.

I have not purchased a commercial other than dish detergent and laundry detergent in at least 8 yrs. Periodically I will purchase a bar from another soapmaker, if they have a scent I love and do not have. Also I have joined some swaps over the years so I have had the opportunity to use other soapmakers soaps.

I simply do not like soap for laundry and still prefer detergent for dishes. I went with Coconut/lard soap for awhile in my beginning soapmaking days as laundry soap and simply did not like it for laundry. I also hate soap for doing dishes and it is much less expensive to buy dish detergent than it is to make it.

My friend Renae started making soap some years ago. Her preference was for a simple but balanced recipe with some shea; the bars were light tan with little or no fragrance. She gave me some of her soap early on in her soaping career ... and I confess it sat on my bathroom shelf for months. I forget what commercial bar soap (or cleanser) I was using at the time, but I do remember thinking Renae's soap was so ... rustic ... in comparison. I just couldn't bring myself to use it.

Fast forward to one day when we didn't have any store-bought soap and I resorted to using Renae's soap. I'm sure it was well cured by that time. ;) The skin feel after using her was markedly different and the soap didn't dry my skin like the commercial product did. My husband agreed. So we used Renae's soap exclusively for some years. Some years ago, I decided to try soap making, and I now supply soap to Renae. It's a good deal all around.

I'll use commercial soap only if I have to.

What a wonderful story of your journey to soap making :) Thanks for sharing.

Janelle

No commercial body soap for me in 14 years. Dish and laundry detergent, that's it. Our whole family, married children and all, use my soap.
That's so awesome. That's something I've been thinking about as dd's boyfriend just asked our permission to marry her. Should I save up soaps of all different scents and gift her with a year's supply at her bridal shower, or should I teach her how to make her own and give her supplies?

Janelle

IMG_2061.JPG
I have not bought bar soap or laundry soap in 8 yrs. I make better soap and it's fun. My current inventory is stored in scientifically designed containers (thank you Amazon!) and is kept in a controlled environment... under the bed... with the cat. :)

Last edited:
That's so awesome. That's something I've been thinking about as dd's boyfriend just asked our permission to marry her. Should I save up soaps of all different scents and gift her with a year's supply at her bridal shower, or should I teach her how to make her own and give her supplies?

Janelle

Better still, walk through the process with her and help make her first batch. Memories for both of you.

Janelle
Both!

I haven't used a commercial bar of soap for about 3 years before I started making soap, so right around 19-20 years or so was the last time.
Bar that one time I forgot to bring one of my bars when travelling so used the soap provided for the hotel. Bet your bottom dollar I never forgot soap again. And if I ever do again, I think I will just forgo using any type of cleansing agent in the shower except the shampoo suds that come of my hair when rinsing. LOL I'd seriously rather to without, than use a commercial bar ever again as long as I live.

I do use detergent dish and laundry soap. My clothes just always get too dingy when I try to make my own even with a -3% sf, and the dish soap is my husbands domain, and he refuses to use my soap in the dishwasher.

I do use detergent dish and laundry soap. My clothes just always get too dingy when I try to make my own even with a -3% sf, and the dish soap is my husbands domain, and he refuses to use my soap in the dishwasher.
I had that when i just used coconut but now I do 75% coconut and 25% lard and 0 superfat and I love how it works. The lard acts as a conditioner so my clothes come out soft

Haven't bought soap since 2005. Use my own. Last time I remember using a commercial soap I had to run back into the shower and wash with my own soap. I used Dove that time and after my skin felt dry, itchy, and filmy and just plain icky. Never again!

I've noticed that quite a few people make both soap and candles. I'm interested in candle making and hope to get some supplies this year for Christmas. I've put a bug in my dh's ear ;)

Janelle

Janelle

I started off with candles. Iv been off since from work for 18 months and needed something to keep me busy so my mum suggested beekeeping so i looked into that then decided to buy some beeswax to have a mess with. done the beekeepers course and now have my own hive. Iv now switched to soy wax for my candles but i was making beeswax ones at first. Im hoping to make it into at least a part time business at some point. Soap will probably come later after iv started selling my candles :)

I started off with candles. Iv been off since from work for 18 months and needed something to keep me busy so my mum suggested beekeeping so i looked into that then decided to buy some beeswax to have a mess with. done the beekeepers course and now have my own hive. Iv now switched to soy wax for my candles but i was making beeswax ones at first. Im hoping to make it into at least a part time business at some point. Soap will probably come later after iv started selling my candles :)
That is fascinating. I think its awesome that you are a beekeeper and have a hive. I love how our hobbies just naturally tend to lead us to other ones. I think candle making will be a fun addition to my addictions. :)

Janelle

I had that when i just used coconut but now I do 75% coconut and 25% lard and 0 superfat and I love how it works. The lard acts as a conditioner so my clothes come out soft
I've tried about 8 different recipes with varying superfats between 0 and -3 %. Never fails after about 3 months my clothes just look dull and worn out. To me, personally, after about 5 years, I finally just stopped trying to fight it and now use a commercial detergent for my laundry. I can't stand clothes that don't look crisp and new after coming out of the laundry, so this is a better option for me.

I haven’t bought a bar of soap for myself since 1998. I even make (from ends or narrow PVC molds) single use soaps that I take when I travel. Once or twice I have been stuck at a hotel without my soap so I have USED non-homemade soap occasionally during the last 20 years but not often.

Back