Just curious as to who no longer uses commercial made soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember the last time I purchased a commercial soap. Our whole family has a variety of allergies and skin issues so we have always been careful about what we use on our skin and then some years ago I was given a bar of 100% olive oil soap and it was amazing but could never get the same brand again. Shortly after that I found a man that made olive oil soap so started to purchase that. We have used that exclusively until I took up soap making.

Goodness only knows what I am going to do with the stockpiles of soap after Christmas. I have loved experimenting with various recipes and Christmas is great as I will gift everyone a selection of soaps but what on earth am I going to do with the soaps I make after Christmas? We are going to end up with a soap mountain if I keep experimenting and making soap.

Goodness only knows what I am going to do with the stockpiles of soap after Christmas. I have loved experimenting with various recipes and Christmas is great as I will gift everyone a selection of soaps but what on earth am I going to do with the soaps I make after Christmas? We are going to end up with a soap mountain if I keep experimenting and making soap.
I'm wondering the same thing.. I'm already running out of shelf space as it is and I still have so much I want to do.
The soaps aren't curing fast enough haha >_<

That's so awesome. That's something I've been thinking about as dd's boyfriend just asked our permission to marry her. Should I save up soaps of all different scents and gift her with a year's supply at her bridal shower, or should I teach her how to make her own and give her supplies?

Janelle
Well, if you teach her you will have someone to talk all things soap with...without their eyes glazing over.

I bought my last commercial bar circa 1996. From the start my husband and I both preferred my soap, so there was no looking back.

I always pack my own soap when traveling.

A fun activity for me is to occasionally mentally list the homemade products I use during and after a shower. I use more in the winter than the summer because of needing lotion and/or body butter: bar soap, syndet shampoo bar, conditioner, deodorant, lotion/body butter, un-talcum powder, rash cream (as needed), facial moisturizer, and sometimes another specialty product for a specific need (wart killer, for example). This would be a winter list on a day when I used everything.

In addition to women's shelters (and not all places have a nearby shelter), there are probably any number of people you meet in your everyday life who would love being gifted a bar or two of soap now and then. Some examples of people or institutions that are grateful for soap donations: homeless shelters, food pantries (or places that give away other items to the needy), nursing homes (some won't allow the use of bar soaps, however, the staff are grateful when I bring in a flat of soap as appreciation on Nurse's Day), neighbors, school teachers of your children or grandchildren, service providers you come into contact with on a regular basis such as mail delivery or garbage collection persons, even grocery store clerks you see on a regular basis, or the bag boy at the grocery store (we still have bag boys who are required to carry out the groceries to the car in our town!) I have even gifted my doctor's staff with soap and they really raved over how nice it was to receive such a gift.

I've thought about fire stations too. I don't know if they need anything specific, but anywhere that requires overnight or days long shifts and has shower facilities would probably like it. And firefighters especially would want a shower if they have a call.

The problem with my particular stash is they are a newbie's soaps and I would not feel comfortable with giving them away yet in case something goes wrong lol

But.. A few of my test pieces are "hits" with immediate family, so maaaaybe, I can give away some to extended family this Christmas hehe

What to do with excess soap been discussed in another thread on the forum - thanks to that thread, I now regularly take a box to work every six months. We have a "giveaway" table that I leave it on for a week or so, people take what they want, whatever is left comes back home with me. I've actually gotten a few regular customers from the guys who take it home for their wives.

What to do with excess soap been discussed in another thread on the forum - thanks to that thread, I now regularly take a box to work every six months. We have a "giveaway" table that I leave it on for a week or so, people take what they want, whatever is left comes back home with me. I've actually gotten a few regular customers from the guys who take it home for their wives.
That's an awesome idea. I wish we had more crafters in my work group.
I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

Janelle

Like the OP, I used body wash all the time. Then I watched a soap making video by a UK soaper. I won't mention who, but it took my fancy to send for a bar of her best seller. Well, it was fabulous. Smelt divine, lathered up well, and left my skin feeling lovely. I am now venturing into soapmaking myself and am going on a two day course next year. Can't wait.

A friend gave me some soap she made but it went mushy quickly and we only used a few bars. A year later I found the rest in the cupboard and thought I’d use it up. It was fantastic! That extra cure for high and pure OO soap made such a difference. My friend taught me how to make soap and I’ve been perfecting it ever since.

I have only used commercial soap at hotels since I started making my own 3 years ago. The only presents anyone get from me is soap! All of my family and close friends use my soap. Some pay for it!

We don’t use liquid soap (yet). I use commercial laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back