Just call me the Rock Maker from now on LOL

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
My roommate makes me laugh because she waits almost as eagerly as I do for another soapy adventure LOL. This last batch of soap, she gave me strict instructions that I was not to cut it until she was available so she could watch. As it was my first CPOP batch, of course I did not wait, she was already asleep in her room and I wanted to see it asap, so I cut as soon as I got home.

When I first cut, I was very disappointed. I had planned for a very lovely butterfly swirl in pink, blue, purple, and black, on a white background. I figured even if I flubbed the butterfly effect, the colors would be beautiful, so I would be happy with the results no matter what. What I got was a very dark muddled looking thing that looked nothing like a butterfly, and there was no sign of my lovely colors anywhere in the same zip code as that soap LOL. I have no one to blame but myself, as I sorta knew when I was pouring it that I had added way to much color, but had hoped it would fade out.

Disgusted with my lack of soapy prowess, I put the tray of muddled uglies on the shelf and went to bed.

Well.... my roommate just got up for work and gave me a hairtoss as she spied the tray of new bars and ( with hands on hips) declared I was a terrible roomie because I cut without her. She flipped on the dining room lights and went to inspect the soaps. She looks at me and says " I'm gonna call you the Rock Maker from now on, because you have an uncommon talent for making soap that looks like cut stone". I scoffed and told her to stop picking on my poor little fugly soaps and take her raggedy behind to work. She laughed and insisted I was wrong.

After she left, the curiosity got to me and I had to go look. Much to my surprise, the colors had lifted quite a bit from the muddled shades of indistinguishable muck they appeared to be when first cut, and, while they certainly are not what I intended (and there still is no sign of a butterfly anywhere near that soap), the soap sure as heck does look like cut stone.

I think I'm going with the "I meant to do that" option when she gets home LOL.

Here's the pics of my fugly little stone soaps LOL... I think I like them :)

uploadfromtaptalk1441710821532.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1441710837809.jpg

They certainly do look like stone. Just a suggestion if you want pretty colors stay away from cpop, sorry I hate that process. Yes I know, a lot of people successfully cpop but every time I tried it I hated the colors. No matter how I would do it oven on or off for the duration my soaps would come out much darker than regular gelling. I will go with the method if I have a bad seizure so it can melt down the soap in the mold and even it out some.

Your soap rocks, Gigi! (Yeah, bad joke!) :)

Seriously ... it might not look as you intended, but it's not "fugly" at all.

Tyvm all, and surprisingly, I like those fugly little rock babies too LOL. The colors are lightening up a little bit as the bars mature and I'm truly stunned by the striations in the colors. Between the flecks and jagged edges, it's looking more and more like stone every day. I'm very glad I took copious notes on this because I think I might intentionally repeat this cut granite look. I think it would look awesome in a masculine or outdoors scented bar.

Ty all for the encouragement :)

I love the look...albeit for a rock and not a butterfly..
If it was soft enough I would have cut small pieces and rolled them in my hands to make rock shapes...
Never say oops! Say THERE!

I love the look...albeit for a rock and not a butterfly..
If it was soft enough I would have cut small pieces and rolled them in my hands to make rock shapes...
Never say oops! Say THERE!

Oh now there would be an idea hmmmm... not sure what I would do with rock shaped soaps though LOL

"...DeeAnna your cornball humor is as bad as mine..."

Hey, whaddaya expect -- I'm from Iowa! :)

I love the look of rock soaps so I would totally own that! They are gorgeous! And if you decide to dabble in soap rocks as a design I know someone who would totally use those in decoration...hint...hint...

Seriously - it's a thing...
http://library.rusticescentuals.com/how-to-make-gemstone-soap-rocks/

Jules - TY and LOL... once these cure, I'll have to send you one since you love stones so much.

I'm planning on experimenting with this accident turned method, for sure. As it is curing, the colors are lifting very gently, becoming more apparent, which gives me high hopes that by 4 weeks old, there will be some serious color gradations, making it look even more like granite. I'm so glad I took copious notes so I can repeat it.

Great link btw, TY :) Those are M& P, which I don't do, but they are gorgeous. They look so real! I had no idea so many people liked the look of stone so much! Everyone I've shown the pictures of my fugly rock babies to has said if they were for sale, they'd snatch them up, especially if they were scented unisex or masculine. Blew me away that so many people like the look of stone so much that they even like it in soap! LOL

Back