Just another couple of random questions

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I see a lot of people using 99% IPA to spritz the tops of their loaves to prevent ash. Would 70% work just as well or am I just wasting my time?
Secondly, I'm looking to add a little "depth" in a layer of my soap by adding poppy seeds but I want to know what other things can be used to achieve the same? I was thinking chia seeds or maybe partially ground coffee beans. Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can try the 70%. It may work for you. I have much better luck with the 91%. As for scrubbies in the soap just keep in ,ind things can be uncomfortably scrubby. I have used finely ground coffee, pumice and luffa with good results. Most are only used for hands though.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with shunt. Use very finely ground additives. I've used coffee which wasn't finely ground enough and it was OK for hands but too scratchy for anywhere else. I have also used cinnamon (as it comes from the grocery store) and it's not too bad as I only used it in a small portion of the batter, but I don't think I'll use it again. I did find that I quite like the ground poppy seeds. They are pleasantly scratchy. But I ground them pretty fine.

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
I tried 70% isopropyl and it seemed to make my ash worse. Then I found that adding 2% beeswax GREATLY reduced my ash problem.

Dahila

Reaction score
I made a dandelion soap and it gets the worst ash ever, I sprayed with 99 it had not helped. It looks kind of cool :)

wearytraveler

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll skip the seeds/coffee and just keep it simple. I'll also place an Amazon order today and will include some 90% IPA.

Thanks again!

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll skip the seeds/coffee and just keep it simple. I'll also place an Amazon order today and will include some 90% IPA.

Thanks again!
Where are you located. I get the 91% at my local pharmacy (Walgreen, CVS) or even Walmart or Target.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm in NJ and I have looked in Target, Walmart and CVS and all they ever seem to carry is the 70%. It's not a huge deal since I'm an Amazon addict and do the majority of my purchasing through them.
The batch(es) I plan for this weekend will have beeswax so the IPA is not that high a priority for me and my question was more for general knowledge than for an immediate need.

Thanks!

Where are you located. I get the 91% at my local pharmacy (Walgreen, CVS) or even Walmart or Target.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm in NJ and I have looked in Target, Walmart and CVS and all they ever seem to carry is the 70%. It's not a huge deal since I'm an Amazon addict and do the majority of my purchasing through them.
The batch(es) I plan for this weekend will have beeswax so the IPA is not that high a priority for me and my question was more for general knowledge than for an immediate need.

Thanks!
I'm in NJ and I find my 91% at the Shop Rite and Wegmans. I haven't seen 99%, but I also haven't looked.