Just a couple more questions...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm on the cusp... the brink... the verge of making my first HP batch ever and some of the residual questions I have are based around ingredients and tools. I don't like to overwhelm any thread with a ton of questions so I'll ask the two that are higher on my list:

I know a lot of places (thanks to this site) to look for EOs and FOs but where are some of the more cost-effective places everyone gets the oils/butters? Do most of you source from one place or just get what you can where you can when the price is good?

I know that I saw something like this in one of the many, many (many) videos I have been watching over the past couple of weeks but I can't find it now. It's a soap mold that comes apart (bottom and all 4 sides), not made of wood and doesn't require lining. I've also searched a few sites and can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I can get it?

Thanks!

I shop all over for oils and butters. I'm in Canada so some of these places might be different...

I find the online soap ingredient places pretty good for some ingredients. I like Voyageur Soap and Saffire Blue.

I get my olive, coconut and sweet almond oil from Costco. Lard and tallow from a local butcher shop. Some specialty oils from the Caribbean grocery store, and a couple from the health food store. Any canola or sunflower I need usually comes from the supermarket.

So yes, I shop all over!

Yep. I shop all over.
Several online. Wayfair for coconut, Vitamin shoppe for castor. Lard at Walmart. Other oils as I ambush them. DW actually looks for oils for me now too.
Welcome to the addiction and your next phase.
Steve

If you are in the US, Soapers Choice is my suggestion. And if you are in the midwest, the shipping is really reasonable

Oils - Soaper's Choice, Costco and Restaurant Supply places (sometimes called cash and carry)

The mold - check Soap Hutch. He does custom molds. I desperately want one.

I like soap making resource, wholesale supplies plus and crafters choice for a lot of things like EO's and some oils. Olive oil from Costco, coconut oil from WinCo, lard from super saver (they cater to the Hispanic shoppers and have great lard). Ace hardware for lye. No idea about the mold.

Thanks for the replies. I guess there are a lot of places I can source the oils.butters from. And thank you dixiedragon for the Soap Hutch mention. That's exactly what I'm looking for and I've reached out to them.

I agree with Soaper's Choice. I get my Olive and Avocado from Costco, Coconut and Castor from a local restaurant supply (can also get lye). Lye from Essential Depot or Lye Guy. Molds & Colorants Nurture Soap Supplies.

CO: Snappy White Popcorn Oil on Amazon.
OO: Costco
AO: Costco
Lard: Grocery Store
Lye: The Lye Guy (they have a buy 5 get 1 special)
Castor: whichever soap supply company I happen to order from when I get low

I really should switch to Soaper's Choice to save a little money on some of them, but I just do not have the room for larger containers.

Bummer about folks with Costcos that don't stock AO. Maybe you could ask them to??

Back