Juniper Berry & Leaf

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
Juniper leaf oil
Juniper leaf distillate
Juniper berry oil
Ground Juniper berry into oil infusion
Tecoma xochitl leaf
Oatmeal flour (powdered to talc consistency, unnoticeable in color)

SAM_0759.jpg

Last edited:
Nice color for Juniper. They look wonderful. That color would also be good for a mint mix. Are the flecks the ground juniper berry?

Yeah those specks are from the ground juniper berry that was also softened in a 3 hr palm infusion on low in the crockpot. The oatmeal powder is unrecognizeable since it is as fine as talc.

That is really pretty; I love natural colorants. What is tecoma xochitl leaf, and is that your source of green?

It is mostly that leaf. tecome xochitl or tecoma stans is a plant that grows like a weed in the carribean and in the south. I spiced up the coloring with a few drops of BB green since it was a dull green at first. Would have used chlorophyll based colorant but I have been hearing about them going bad sooner if so.

very nice, goji! :) i've never tried juniper, looks lovely with the specks and all!

very nice, goji! :) i've never tried juniper, looks lovely with the specks and all!

This specific Juniper that was used for leaf/twigs is such a pain as far as distillation goes. You barely get any oil from it. But it smells amazing,

Wow~ I love the color! Did you make it for oily skin?

I distilled some juniper leaf and twigs and wanted to make a soap out of it. Its use is yet to be seen. According to the numbers I am looking at right now, it will be way moisturizing/conditioning and mild cleansing (14). The #'s:
-----------------------------

• [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]2.4 oz Canola 7 %[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]9.5 oz Palm 28 %[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]6.8 oz Coconut 20 %[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]1.7 oz Sunflower 5 %[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]12.6 oz Crisco 37 %[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]1 oz Jojoba 3 %[/FONT]
[FONT=Ubuntu, sans-serif]-----------------------------------------[/FONT]

Last edited:
I see :), the only reason I asked if it's for oily skin because juniper berry is known for acne/oily skin. With all those wonderful juniper berry infused oil, juniper leaf, EO, etc in your soap, I assumed it was for oily skin. Would love to hear the after cure :)!

I see :), the only reason I asked if it's for oily skin because juniper berry is known for acne/oily skin. With all those wonderful juniper berry infused oil, juniper leaf, EO, etc in your soap, I assumed it was for oily skin. Would love to hear the after cure :)!

There are 2 EOs. One from the leaves and twigs which I made, even used the hydrosol (fresh/Christmassy), and the other is a Croatian berry EO that I bought. All things combined it smells awesome. But it is layered wth the other ingredients and I have it drying avbout 10 feet away. I keep on getting blasts of it. Should fill a few rooms with scent when it dries and used in the shower.

This is lovely, did you make the leaf distillate?

Yeah/ the distillate is a by-product in the EO distillation process. So I saved some distillate --should've saved all-- and put it in a glass to settle/separate even more EO from the hydrosol; a sort of crude rectification.

I got very little Juniper oil but saved about a gallon of hydrosol/distillate.

Latest posts

Back