June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This challenge seems to be a bit more intimidating's than the others. So many options... kinda scarey! I got my Nurture Soap order with my colors… this is always my favorite part of unboxing my orders from them:
C108D62C-0149-4C3F-AA87-E66B01D170EE.jpeg
and I have an Amazon order coming today with some tools I’m thinking of using for phase 2! Lol! Like I have a plan or something… 🤔🙄🤓 This challenge did inspire me to put this together for my kitchen window!
2AF1BB47-9386-438E-B2A7-06609484365D.jpeg

Back to square one. Good thing I have plenty of herbs. 😁

you are so positive!
:thumbs:
i would be all :eek:

important tip: use a weight to keep the herbs fully under the oil

another tip: briefly blanch the herbs before infusing
(not cooking, just a quick dip into boiling water and into ice water to cool quickly - this helps get rid of surface molds and bacteria)

optional tip: gently heat the oil and herb blend
(heating the oil drives off some water from the herbs, reduces the chance of nasties growing and speeds up the infusion)

@VikingChick Clever you just skipped all the oil blend, colour/fragrance and saponification steps, and went without detour from fresh herbs to the mould :cool:

On a serious (still not very comforting) note: we can be so glad that fungi exist and clean everything up after we wasteful animals/plants have left our mortal remains everywhere. The nutrient cycle is a formidable example of a chicken-egg paradox: if fungi wouldn't supply plants with all the micro-nutrients and minerals liberated from rotting biomass, nothing would grow (to have the chance to rot afterwards).

@VikingChick Clever you just skipped all the oil blend, colour/fragrance and saponification steps, and went without detour from fresh herbs to the mould :cool:
Hahaha!!

You’re so right on microbiological life, though! ALL life on earth complements each other. I remember 15(ish) years ago when my kids were young, when having a sterile house was the goal and being a germophobe mom was a badge of honor. I was like, let them eat dirt! What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. 😁 (Well, unless youre immunosuppressed, in which case none of what I said applies, but that’s a VERY small percentage of the population.)

I haven't used real grass, but have used pureed and frozen pandan leaves, which worked great. I think with fresh grass you could use a similar approach: puree them with some demineralized water if necessary and freeze. Make your soap with a 50% lye solution and add the frozen grass puree at trace to come up to your normal water amount. I did experience some acceleration with this method, so be cautious!

Sign-up list:

1. Marsi - 🌞 soaping in the garden 🌱🐛
2. Tara_H - I was hoping for an inspiration challenge!
3. Vicki C - my two favorite pastimes!
4. Jersey Girl- Gardening and Soaping are my two favorite things!
5. dibbles - so many options!
6. Glendam - this sounds like so much fun
7. MrsZ - I really want to try this!
8. AMD - anything to avoid weeding my actual garden...
9. Peachy Clean Soap - This is gonna be challenging & fun.
10. earlene - Soap making has been added my therapy plan for my thumb per my OT; and I have a vision
11. KimW
12. peachymoon - I was gonna sit this one out, but there are so many inspirational green thumbs in my family that it felt so wrong!!
13. linne1gi - I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.
14.bookreader451 - okay going to try harder this month. I am having soapy withdrawal.
15. Violets2217- I can’t ignore this post any longer, I’m giving it a shot!
16. Vikingchick......ok, I’m in! Still waiting for inspiration to strike, but I have time, right? 😁
17. Mobjack Bay - With a tip of the hat to @Tara_H I’m making my first soap dough right now.
18. The Phoenix - The challenge will be executing my inspired vision…but I will give it a shot.
19. SPowers - ok... will give this one a go!
20. Nona's Farm - I need a challenge and there are so many possibilities.
21. MarnieSoapien - I found inspiration!
22. ResolvableOwl - This soap will NOT be gluten-free.

I haven't used real grass, but have used pureed and frozen pandan leaves, which worked great. I think with fresh grass you could use a similar approach: puree them with some demineralized water if necessary and freeze. Make your soap with a 50% lye solution and add the frozen grass puree at trace to come up to your normal water amount. I did experience some acceleration with this method, so be cautious!
Thank you! Pandan leaf is the name of one of my favorite diners, I had no clue it was the name of an actual plant so I looked it up just now. Did it color your soap green?

Did it color your soap green?
Not @szaza, but yes it does. Extra bonus to the fabulous nutty vanilla scent (that carries over to some degree into the soap too, though it fades over time). But it'll depend on if you are at home in Southeast Asia if you can let this be vaild as “garden inspired” 😜

Latest posts

Back