June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This month's challenge thread appears quite quiet … everyone secretly working on their own at mind-blowing designs 🤫😲😍 I've got an idea too, but I've now definitely decided to not officially take part. My project lives from the story behind it, I feel that a mere submission photo wouldn't do it justice. That's why I'm out-sourcing my deeds instead into a thread that fits perfectly into the “Photo Gallery” subforum:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/garden-inspired-guessing-game.84293/

I made my first challenge attempt today! Can't wait to see how it turned out. I'm sure it won't be too impressive to anyone but me as it's my first time using Micas even, but I'm sure I will be happy with it.

On another note, the FO I used is STRONG! It's a nice smell, but I think I may still be sick if it lingers too long. And it's almost 100 degrees with high humidity so I can't just open the windows and air out the house. Maybe time to go out and swim for a bit. 😁

This month's challenge thread appears quite quiet … everyone secretly working on their own at mind-blowing designs 🤫😲😍 I've got an idea too, but I've now definitely decided to not officially take part. My project lives from the story behind it, I feel that a mere submission photo wouldn't do it justice. That's why I'm out-sourcing my deeds instead into a thread that fits perfectly into the “Photo Gallery” subforum:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/garden-inspired-guessing-game.84293/
My submission is very story dependent. Don’t bow out yet…

I made my lye solution over lunch, and figured out my plan. I only have one go at this and tonight is the only time I have to do it. Let's hope the piping gods are smiling favorably on me.
I’m in the same boat. Errr, garden. I haven’t piped soap in a year-ish. It’ll be very interesting. And it’s supposed to be almost 100 degrees today. Eek.

What are the photo requirements for this challenge? I read the rules and see that the actual requirements are quite loose, but I want to make sure I know the submission requirements.
Does “one garden inspired ingredient in your soap” mean we should include a garden inspired ingredient in the recipe?

Thanks. That makes more sense than plumbing work, or smoking foliage of plants that (more or less accidentally) grew beneath your bird feeders. English class in school taught us 19th century literature, but not confectioner's craft.

I usually get sunflowers below my bird feeders. :cool:

Does “one garden inspired ingredient in your soap” mean we should include a garden inspired ingredient in the recipe?

I am glad you brought that up because I totally forgot that aspect! Glad I am still only in phase 1 of my project. There is still time.

I usually get sunflowers below my bird feeders. :cool:

I am glad you brought that up because I totally forgot that aspect! Glad I am still only in phase 1 of my project. There is still time.

So many choices, waiting for my creativeness to kick in. Practiced pipping & made soap dough after I realized my left over soap I put in my little molds that I didn't un mold, are great for soap dough.

An I thought I read the instructions thoroughly this time! :oops: But I too missed the 'garden inspired' ingredient. That may tax my brain beyond it's capability!
This reminds me to mention that there was a rules change, in case anyone kind of skimmed over the rules and didn't notice it. Once you add a picture of your soap the entry thread there is no changing it later.

My primary garden ingredient (from my raised beds) is now infusing in almond oil, using the heat infusion method in a Bain Marie set-up. I am using half of what I gathered this morning. The other half will be soup either today or tomorrow.

I gathered a bit more of another garden ingredient from the front yard on a whim, and have yet to figure out how I will incorporate that one in such a way that it is attractive. This is getting fun. Thank you , @szaza.

I harvested a large bunch of thyme from my garden yesterday. It won't be an ingredient in the challenge (that ingredient has already been incorporated) but wondered if anyone has ever used oil infused or juiced thyme in a CP soap. Thoughts? If not, I'll be infusing it anyway for cooking.

Got out of bed at 5:45 because I couldn't sleep. Spent a good amount of time trimming my roses and putting them in vases. Felt good to be outside before it reaches 100 degrees today. Ugh.

What a bounty! I'll post a photo later.

@The_Phoenix the entry picture can be whatever you like as long as it's true to how the soap looks in real life (so no filters etc.). There's no minimum required amount of soaps in your picture, so you could only show one or your whole batch, whatever showcases your design the best.

@Mobjack Bay yup, the way that rule was intended was that the "garden inspired ingredient" is part of your recipe. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it (floral infused oils, veggies, aloe, goat milk, eggs...). It doesn't have to be from your own garden, because not everybody has one. I just wanted to really get the garden in the soap and honestly, I didn't count on everyone going crazy with these super complicated designs - WHICH I'M LOVING by the way!

@SPowers I understand that incorporating a new ingredient into an already complicated design is not easy. If you're uncertain about what you could add to not mess up your design, please ask in the thread and we'll figure something out together. The rules were made to encourage creativity, not to stifle it.

I would also like to clarify that not being allowed to post pictures of your entry soap before posting on the entry thread doesn't mean you're not allowed to talk about your soap, please keep sharing any ideas, troubles or insecurities you come across along the way!

I am glad you brought that up because I totally forgot that aspect!
I almost forgot and had to add mine last minute before making the soap. Hopefully it qualifies.

I got my soap made! I still need to work on portioning out for piping, as I had way too much piping reserved and I could have used that as base soap in the mold. Oh well. It went into small cavity molds and we'll use those around the house for hand washing.

Back