June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 'sort of' tried this theme using some small columns in a slab mold... I actually did 3 different designs and while they look really nice, it wasn't what I was going for. Not sure my skills are suited for this challenge - it's definitely harder than it sounds. Anxiously awaiting to see what others do - both entries and non entries.
I'm curious to see what you did! I'm also pretty sure you can do this challenge. It's an inspiration challenge and you're free to make any soap that you feel you can/want to make. Please remember the inspiration photo's are there for inspiration, not for exact replication. They've been made by extraordinary soapers. If you can recreate them, that's fine, but the goal of this challenge is to come up with something you'd like to create and feel good about with the theme of the challenge in mind.

I am trying so many new-to-me techniques on this challenge, that I am withholding my entry until I actually finish the soap (it is already 3 days in the making LOL). I wish I took pictures along the way for my own documentation on what I did.

So far it is working out fine. Had to order a few things. I am not very creative at all normally, but as soon as I saw the challenge, I came up with my inspiration. Hope my right brain is working properly this time LOL.

It will only yield 4 bars, but I feel like with all the work it will be "that will be $150 ma'am. Yes, each" LOL.

1. Marsi - 🌞 soaping in the garden 🌱🐛
2. Tara_H - I was hoping for an inspiration challenge!
3. Vicki C - my two favorite pastimes!
4. Jersey Girl- Gardening and Soaping are my two favorite things!
5. dibbles - so many options!
6. Glendam - this sounds like so much fun
7. MrsZ - I really want to try this!
8. AMD - anything to avoid weeding my actual garden...
9. Peachy Clean Soap - This is gonna be challenging & fun.
10. earlene - Soap making has been added my therapy plan for my thumb per my OT; and I have a vision
11. KimW
12. peachymoon - I was gonna sit this one out, but there are so many inspirational green thumbs in my family that it felt so wrong!!
13. linne1gi - I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.
14. Vikingchick......ok, I’m in! Still waiting for inspiration to strike, but I have time, right? 😁

You will be missed!
Don't rejoice too soon! I just thought it'd be extra clever to just not register. I still can be (and am!) inspired by the challenge, but without having to worry about the competition (particularly the most difficult part: voting in the end :rolleyes:).

Now I've come up with something that might well be competition-worthy. I'm undecided if I should be true to my former decision, and just post it here, outside the official challenge – or register & keep it secret until the submission thread will be opened…

Now I've come up with something that might well be competition-worthy. I'm undecided if I should be true to my former decision, and just post it here, outside the official challenge – or register & keep it secret until the submission thread will be opened…
Go for it! I mean, you’ll probably at least beat me! 😂😂😂😂

Don't rejoice too soon! I just thought it'd be extra clever to just not register. I still can be (and am!) inspired by the challenge, but without having to worry about the competition (particularly the most difficult part: voting in the end :rolleyes:).

So you mean to tell me that the way to come up with, and decide on a design idea, nay, the way to make an actual soap entry, is to decide not to sign up Initially? 😄 I may have done this backwards then.
whatever you decide to do, I look forward to seeing it

Corrected sign-up list based on sign-ups from previous page:

10. earlene - Soap making has been added my therapy plan for my thumb per my OT; and I have a vision
11. KimW
12. peachymoon - I was gonna sit this one out, but there are so many inspirational green thumbs in my family that it felt so wrong!!
13. linne1gi - I’m not much of a gardener but I do love flowers, so count me in.
14.bookreader451 - okay going to try harder this month. I am having soapy withdrawal.
15. Violets2217- I can’t ignore this post any longer, I’m giving it a shot!
16. Vikingchick......ok, I’m in! Still waiting for inspiration to strike, but I have time, right? 😁

11. KimW
14.bookreader451 - okay going to try harder this month. I am having soapy withdrawal.
11. KimW
11. KimW
14. Vikingchick......ok, I’m in! Still waiting for inspiration to strike, but I have time, right? 😁

Corrected sign-up list based on sign-ups from previous page:

11. KimW
16. Vikingchick......ok, I’m in! Still waiting for inspiration to strike, but I have time, right? 😁
17. With a tip of the hat to @Tara_H I’m making my first soap dough right now.

I'm curious to see what you did! I'm also pretty sure you can do this challenge. It's an inspiration challenge and you're free to make any soap that you feel you can/want to make. Please remember the inspiration photo's are there for inspiration, not for exact replication. They've been made by extraordinary soapers. If you can recreate them, that's fine, but the goal of this challenge is to come up with something you'd like to create and feel good about with the theme of the challenge in mind.

Thanks for the encouragement... I still may do something yet! Here is one of the column pours I did - it didn't quite turn out the way I hoped but I think of Irises when I look at.
Thoughts of Spring2.jpg

Sign-up list:

11. KimW
17. Mobjack Bay - With a tip of the hat to @Tara_H I’m making my first soap dough right now.

Sign-up list:

11. KimW
17. Mobjack Bay - With a tip of the hat to @Tara_H I’m making my first soap dough right now.
18. The Phoenix - The challenge will be executing my inspired vision…but I will give it a shot.

Phase one of my Garden Inspiration soap is in the mold along with a couple others for another project. No gelling in store for these, as they will be parts of another planned soap (or soaps), so can gel later if I CPOP the final phase.

Time now to do something to relieve the thumb pain. Yesterday it hurt the entire day, but was good this morning; now it hurts again. I am trying to use it normally, but too much of that does cause pain, as do some of the strengthening exercises. It will get better eventually, of course, but in the meantime it makes me hope I don't ever need another surgery on hands, especially not a thumb ever again.

Here is one of the column pours I did - it didn't quite turn out the way I hoped but I think of Irises when I look at.
View attachment 58458
SPowers, definitely an Irises. Gorgeous.

Sign-up list:

11. KimW
18. The Phoenix - The challenge will be executing my inspired vision…but I will give it a shot.
19. slpowers - ok... will give this one a go!

Sign-up list:

11. KimW
19. slpowers - ok... will give this one a go!
20. Nona's Farm - I need a challenge and there are so many possibilities.

Sign-up list:

11. KimW
19. SPowers - ok... will give this one a go!
20. Nona's Farm - I need a challenge and there are so many possibilities.

Time now to do something to relieve the thumb pain. Yesterday it hurt the entire day, but was good this morning; now it hurts again. I am trying to use it normally, but too much of that does cause pain, as do some of the strengthening exercises. It will get better eventually, of course, but in the meantime it makes me hope I don't ever need another surgery on hands, especially not a thumb ever again.
I'm sorry you're still in pain from your surgery! I'm sure it will get better with time, but in the meantime it must be annoying that something you like doing elicits pain.

Back