June 2021 SMF Soap Challenge - Garden Inspired

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of my soaping adventures this weekend… I couldn’t wait to cut them last night and today after work I impatiently routed the edges. This soap was encouraged by this challenge, but obviously not my entry.
This was my inspiration:
BCE1B3A4-5E7F-46B6-B08C-74BA33A4D6A4.jpeg
This is my soap! I’m pretty impressed by it, if I must say so myself… 6 out of 8 bars pretty well defined and actually look like butterflies, a new record for me. @TashaBird thanks for making pull through soaps look so fun and beautiful! This is all your doing! 🤓🤪😍
7BE80493-24D9-43BE-B376-9EF0F07CE9EB.jpeg

This is one of my soaping adventures this weekend… I couldn’t wait to cut them last night and today after work I impatiently routed the edges. This soap was encouraged by this challenge, but obviously not my entry.
This was my inspiration:
View attachment 58696
This is my soap! I’m pretty impressed by it, if I must say so myself… 6 out of 8 bars pretty well defined and actually look like butterflies, a new record for me. @TashaBird thanks for making pull through soaps look so fun and beautiful! This is all your doing! 🤓🤪😍
View attachment 58697
Those are gorgeous! That disc is one of my favorites. Great colors and definition!

This was my inspiration:
View attachment 58696
View attachment 58697
Oh, that color…😍

Dried hibiscus petals do turn poop brown in soap. And hibiscus tea also turns brown but the resulting soap is not brown. But both would certainly fulfill the “from the garden” requirement of the challenge.

I already had two garden related soap designs in the works so I think I’ll do this challenge. But not going to commit just yet.
Well, technically you can’t grow a garden without poop! Guess it would depend on what aspect of gardening someone was representing. 😆

I’m stumped by the ingredient part of the challenge. I’ve got a garden themed design in my creative cue. And, I could move it to the next-up position. But, my basic soap recipe is already prepped. I’ll have to try and think of a garden ingredient that I can add to the water, the batter, or on top.

I’m stumped by the ingredient part of the challenge. I’ve got a garden themed design in my creative cue. And, I could move it to the next-up position. But, my basic soap recipe is already prepped. I’ll have to try and think of a garden ingredient that I can add to the water, the batter, or on top.
That was the hardest part for me too. In the end it turned out to be a simple ingredient (egg), but I was flummoxed for some days!

All my oils, water, sugar, and lye are already measured. So, I’d have to add something at a phase that is remaining.
Has anyone used powdered or shredded loafah? Does it turn brown?
I see. I've only used loofah in M&P, so I can't give you any help there. Is there a powdered spice you could fit into your design?

@TashaBird try to not overthink it. Fruit or veggie purée, juice, honey, poppy seeds or botanical powders would all work.
Honey! I never thought of honey! What's wrong with me? It's in almost all my batches and I KNOW it's in my soap dough. Yippeee! I don't have to set aside time to learn about soaping with egg! haaaaaaaaaaaa. YES.

@TashaBird ground loofa does work as an exfoliant/scrub. If ground finely, it does tend to make the batter a light tan or at least show up as tan specks - ideal for sand or dirt in a landscape soap. Shredded loofah looks more like small sticks. Can you incorporate that into your design idea?

If you have any dried lavender, you can grind that and add the lavender powder to the soap. If you have roses outside, you can dry the petals in a low-heat oven and either grind them or add them to the top.

My garden is also where old art goes to decompose, but I assume that’s not what was intended. Plants, art, and bones.

Attachments

• F9AF29AC-492E-4C24-83C9-824B35BADA58.jpeg
    F9AF29AC-492E-4C24-83C9-824B35BADA58.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 17
  • EA14EB5E-EDCF-48AA-A614-3E719CD130F8.jpeg
    EA14EB5E-EDCF-48AA-A614-3E719CD130F8.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 14
  • A8963758-195C-4FB8-9F8C-0969269CC4C2.jpeg
    A8963758-195C-4FB8-9F8C-0969269CC4C2.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 12
Well my 'one & done' batch is done! It doesn't look at all like my inspiration except maybe the colour. The batter accelerated a bit making it hard to 'drop' some of the colour and the FO I used was dark amber out of the bottle and while I used it only in the dark colours, they turned muddy looking. Hoping after cpop that might change - time will tell.
I think as a design it will be ok, but as for this challenge, you might say it's interpretive - meaning interpret it a garden theme! :D I will submit it in any case in a few days since that is what I signed up for.

Back